Finding today hard - start of p1 for most children

sethsmummy

mum to 3 beautiful boys
Reaction score
hi ladies.. today i am finding very very hard. All i have seen on facebook all morning is pictures of friends/sisters little ones all dressed and ready to start their first day in primary one... I should be doing that with ds1 today but hes been deffered for a year. I was so upset by it all i found myself crying over it.

anybody else struggling with the same thing today? xx

Aww that must be hard for you! There are many positives to a child starting school a little later! They get an extra year of play instead of pressures of homework, competition etc, you get more quality time with them and are prolonging their childhood. We had to do a lot of soul searching this past year about whether to send Matthew to school this year, I did a lot of research and spoke to so many people, including the ladies in northern Ireland spearheading the campaign to delay starting age for school here. They demonstrated many valid reasons why an extra year before school is beneficial, especially for boys. In the end we chose school now as the best thing for Matthew as he is already reading and writing, thrives on strict routine and was getting frustrated in the play environment by June. If it was deemed he would have been better with an extra year, I would have embraced it. Don't let it get you down, your wee man will have his first day in hisuniform too but when he is good and ready! Big hugs x

thank you hun! I feel much better now. he had his first day back at nursery yesterday and he loved it. Was a lot more confident in play than he was last school year. :) xx

Exactly! As long as he is happy and content it is the best for him!

it is and it gives us another year to try and find a way to help him toilet train. x

Glad you're feeling better about it now xx It's a while away for us but I am already prepared for Gabriella to start a year later. She isn't walking yet so obviously no where even close to potty training so I wouldn't be surprised if we end up having to defer. I like the idea that we get to let her be a small child for that bit longer before she enters the more strict world of school. Sounds like Seth is doing great and it was totally the right choice for him xx

It was hun. I am really glad we kept him back as before the summer (we had to decide by January of this year) he wasnt talking at all so there was no guaruntee he would be talking and we felt it wasnt fair to send him up when he wasnt ready. What got me the most was seeing the photos of his cousin all dressed ready for primary school. They should have been starting on the exact same day.. and even after i posted on fb that i was finding it hard seeing all the pictures my bil then posted more pictures and tagged me in them :S As much as i was proud of my nephew i just felt that was rubbing salt into my wounds. xx

Unfortunately many people are naturally insensitive especially when excited for their own children. It's one more thing that sets us special needs Mums apart sadly. I saw a video of a work colleague's little girl who is 8 months old pulling up on furniture yesterday and it made my heart sink a little. Gabriella is still not doing that properly although she is starting to try I think. It feels like all my friend's children are passing Gabriella by and it hurts every time I see it.

Time to resurrect the proud mummy moment thread I think :) xx

awww hun :hugs: She will get there :) I know many many children who have not pulled themselves up till much later (my nephew was almost 1 before he did it) xxx

My LO isn't going in September but all his friends are :(

snap with seth hun.. but he has quickly made new friends and doesn't seem phased at all :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->