Finger Foods--am I doing this right?

SucreK

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have 11 month old twins and am following the traditional weaning process. My girls have 4 bottles a day, but also eat oatmeal, a few packets of pureed meats/veggies/fruits/grains each, baby yogurt, and Gerber Puffs. I try to cut up bits of food that my husband and I are eating (except meat, because the girls only have 4 teeth each) and share it with the girls. But the information from my doctor's office says the bites need to be about the size of a rice krispie, so the girls are not having lots of luck getting the food into their mouths. I know they'll get better when their pincher grips improve, but at this point, is the point of finger foods to help them with the pincher grasp (versus them actually getting full off of the food in these sessions)?

I hope this makes sense! Thanks!

The point of finger foods is to help them learn to eat real food. I think what might help is to think of what size and shape real food (that you would eat yourself is) and give it to them in that size. Most food isn't the size of a rice crispie and most adults would struggle to eat it with their hands if it was. (Personally, I think your doctors advice sounds kinda crazy!). Just offer them finger foods like you would eat. A piece of toast with whatever you'd eat on toast, pasta with sauce, apple slices, a banana (I always cut into 3 pieces so it wasn't huge and more easy to manage), a small chicken leg, pieces of baked potato, steamed vegetables in whatever form you'd usually have them, soup with bread to dip in it, etc. Usually it's easier to start with finger foods that don't require a pincer grip, but would be held in a fist, so think things that are stick shaped. Or also, things they can dip their hands into and scoop into their mouth or lick their fingers (yogurt or porridge are easy, but also soups). These sorts of things help them to learn to control finger foods in their hands as well as their mouths before they are shoving things in that might actually slip down before they're ready to swallow them - because things like 1/3 of a banana or a cucumber stick or a roasted carrot stick sorta have a handle they can hold onto while they chew. You'll be amazed what they can chew with their gums. They don't need teeth. My daughter didn't have any teeth at all when we started and she was eating toast and baked potatoes and whole bananas and roasted veg at 6 months. My friends daughter ate 4 strips of roast chicken on her own the first day that started weaning. They really can do it. But the hardest bit at first is just being able to pick things up. So I'd stick with stick-shaped foods or yogurt/porridge/soup for dipping fingers in at first. But if they do seem to have a good pincer grip or can at least have go, you might also offer things like peas or blueberries or halved grapes. My daughter was eating these from about 9 months, but she'd had 3 months of practice with finger foods before that, so it might still take a bit of time for them to be confident with their pincer grip. Basically, pureed or mashed foods that aren't in their normal form are for spoonfeeding (if you want to spoonfeed), but I would think of finger foods as just normal foods, in their normal shape and size like you would probably eat them. If you think of it like that, you might find it's easier for them to pick them up and get used to eating them rather than trying to dice everything up too small, if that makes sense?

To give you an idea, my daughter's first ever meal at 6 months was mashed potato, roasted carrot and parsnip sticks, and a yorkshire pudding. She also used to really like toast with mashed banana or avocado (or sometimes both together), cucumber and melon sticks, and muffins (think like banana bread muffins or carrot and apple muffins, just made without sugar). She was eating all of that without teeth too, but the main thing was that they were things that were big enough she could pick them up easily.

Wow, I really, really appreciate your thoughtful response! Follow up question, since you clearly have a great grasp on this!: how do you ensure your child doesn't just shove the whole toast/cucumber/carrot "finger" in their mouth? It's a little crazy with the twins, because I'm having to hawk-eye two babies at the same time to make sure they don't choke, and I'm totally terrified since their instinct does appear to be to shove lots of food in at once. At least, this is what I've seen when I give them bits of toast/mac & cheese/etc.

Thank you again!

Well, if it's truly something the size of toast finger or a cucumber stick, it realistically just won't fit in their mouth. The important thing about starting with things that essentially have a handle is that it allows them to get used to bringing things to their mouth, taking a biting, moving food around the mouth and chewing before they can swallow it. So they can't actually shove a whole cucumber stick down their throats. If they do take too big of a chunk in and can't manage it, it will come back out or their gag reflux will kick in, they'll gag and spit it back up. Basically, gagging is good. It prevents them from choking, so there will be a lot of gagging (it's a sound like a cat throwing up a hair ball) at first and that's a good thing. But really they generally know not to eat something they can't manage and will get it out if they can't. If you think about it, baby monkeys or horses or whatever don't choke when they're learning to eat, so there's no reason to think human babies commonly would either. My daughter never had anything but finger foods and she never put anything in her mouth that she couldn't handle that didn't come back out. The only thing she's ever choked on even a tiny bit is water (and usually that's in the bath). You just kinda have to sit on your hands and let them do it and trust them. It may be a little bit more tricky if they've been used to being spoonfed because finger foods are really different than pureed food and it's all a bit confusing for them to learn to bite and chew when they never had to before. But they'll get it. If they aren't choking (you might look into the difference between choking and gagging, most people think gagging is choking when they see it and panic), then you don't need to do anything and you don't need to worry too much about keeping your eye on them while they eat.

Tis was really helpful,thanks . I've a 10 month old and need to introduce more finger foods . Well bigger sized ones . Lol.... I'm scared of choking though so your post helped alot . Its toast fingers for breakfast ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->