finger foods

LuluBee

Mummy to Alex
Reaction score
I started weaning Alex at 4 months because he had a bad reflux problem. Hes always insisted on feeding himself and surprisingly manages to get the spoon to his mouth 99% of hte time.

I know he's not 6 months yet but I think that developmentally - ie. he can sit upright unsupported, he can put food in his mouth he is ready to try finger food - BUT I'm not sure if his digestive system would be ready for it yet? He's nearly 5 1/2 months old.

Does anyone have any experience of this? I don't want to try anything that he isn't ready for yet, but at the same time I think he would really enjoy finger foods.

You could try vegetables and salady bits. Pepper, cucumber, bits of carrot. Maybe some fruit too. A soft pear is always good. Melon, banana. Or even a bit of toast. You could put some mushed up avacado or banana on it.

Brooke had toast and those organix carrot stick things first off.

Cucumber is pretty good too.

:hugs: Helen said she had a long chat with her hv about finger foods today so it'd be worth asking her if she doesn't see this thread xxx

Im the same Laura starting to think about finger foods but not sure what to start her on

Finger foods are fine as soon as baby starts weaning....you just have to be vigilant in case they choke.

Rice cakes

Toast triangles are sturdier and easier to hold than toast fingers

Baby breadsticks are chunky and easier to hold, they dissolve easier than normal breadsticks and don't contain salt

sticks of cucumber, pepper, carrot, apple, pear etc

You can make your own sugar free biscuits or breadsticks too:happydance:

Ok -so I've started Alex on finger foods. Decided I'd start with some cooked sticks of parsnip (as it's his favourite puree). But how the hell do I stop him from choking????? He took the first stick and chomped off a massive chunk - what do I do?

I'm sorry I know this must sound pretty clueless!

As it's him controlling the food it's really unlikely he'll choke.

Did he enjoy the parsnip? xxx

It's a gag reflex....to stop them choking, takes them time to adjust. Try stuff that he can't bite chunks off....like raw carrot, he can hold it and bite and suck it but not bite chunks off:happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->