Finnish girl names

RosemaryBaby

Reaction score
I'm looking for help with Finnish girl names. OH's maternal grandmother was Finnish and we'd like to celebrate that heritage by naming our next DD a Finnish name. Since I am not Finnish and know the pronunciation will be different I'm hoping that someone here with knowledge of Finnish names will help. Any ideas?

There are so many beautiful Finnish girls names. My OH is Finnish and we live here. My DD is named Iiris (pronounced ee-ris) and we have family named Enni, Ellen, Ida.

What sort of names are you looking for? Some the pronounciation is very different and some are pronounced similar to English but spelt very different!

I've been researching names and, I agree, beautiful Finnish names! Iiris is beautiful, but I have a sister who named her DD Iris! My husband likes Viira (Finnish for Vera), but I had actually only seen that listed once or twice and more often see Veera (which would have the sound like "air" rather than "ear" I think?), so wasn't sure which was actually properly Finnish ( and maybe both are but I want to make sure so that I don't name my child to celebrate a heritage only to find out it was the wrong version!!!). I like names that can have nicknames and sound feminine an/or strong. I like Lilja, for example, but we know a lot of Lilians and Lilys already so that was a no for first name. I like Aila (long A sound, yes?) But, like Viira can't think of a cute short or nickname. I really appreciate the help!

Yeah it's Veera (with an air sound) rather than Viira. Aila is pronounced with a sort of i (as in I am) sound.

Enni is a beautiful name which is easy to pronounce and spell also Alma is beautiful and strong but you can't really nickname them.

Other names:

maija (my-ya)
Eimi (Amy)
Orvokki
Noora
Kati
Johanna
Henna
Heidi
Aada

What is your OH's grandmothers name?

I've been looking at online sources and who knows how good they are, hence why I'm inquiring here! On the Nordic name wiki it says Veera is the Finnish Vera and Viira is the Finnish Vira, both with common origins I guess. I've also found sound bits that pronounce the names, but sometimes they conflict. I actually meant Eila rather than Aila.

Grandmother was Lilian, which why it was appealing but we'll likely use as a middle name.

You've given me many lovely suggestions, thank you! I am interested what my oh thinks, though I think he's rather settled with his choice already!

From what I can see from a quick bit of research Viira has more Estonian routes but has been mentioned on some Finnish baby forums. People seem to be asking what's wrong with the more traditional Veera. Someone on their suggested Viiri as an alternative.

Lilian sounds like she possibly had swede-Finn roots. ( a lot of western Finland has Swedish speaking communities. This opens up a whole new choice of names

She may have, I'm not entirely sure. I do know she spoke Finnish so her roots there were strong! My side is mostly descended from Norway and Sweden so our family has a lot of those or versions of it. We've also done a lot of genealogy so we have the names documented. I'm wondering if his mom has done any in their family which might give me more clues. In any case, I will definitely let him know that Veera is the more traditional name and see what he thinks. You have been very helpful, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->