First day of weaning - really nervous!

missy55

Mummy to 2 gorgeous girls
Reaction score
Hi, we gave Lexi her first taste of baby rice today. She didn't really swallow much of it and pulled some very funny faces but was ok with it. However, we then gave her the rest of her bottle which she took normally and then proceeded to projectile vomit all over me. Is this normal on the first attempt?

Sorry if this turns into a long post!!

I've been really nervous about weaning, I don't do much cooking and our diet isn't the best so I'm scared that I don't know how to prepare the right kind of foods to keep her healthy.

I think I am just freaking out about it to be honest and I'm trying to stay calm but finding it hard!!

Silly things like, once I've washed the pots and spoons that we are using, where do I store them? Are they ok just in the cupboard or drawer? Then when I prepare the food, do I need to re-wash them before I use them? I'm not sterilising the pots and things, just washing in hot soapy water and letting them dry on the drainer.

It just all seems so daunting, Lexi is petite and doesn't look old enough to be having food!!

Please help me before I lose the plot and question myself till my head spins!!

My hubby is great and really excited about weaning but I've asked him to read up about weaning so he is informed as well and he hasn't. So he keeps asking me about things and I don't know the answer so that makes me even more nervous!!

xxx

First take a big deep breath and then breath out slowly :)

We started weaning today too and I've been getting myself in a state too, over thinking it and worrying about stuff that hasn't happened yet.

Not sure why she would have been sick to be honest. Is she a sicky baby normally? My little boy is so I'm expecting this to continue for a while. It might just have been that her tummy was fully from the baby rice and she didn't have space for her milk. They still have really small tummys and although it might not seem like she took at lot of rice it might have been enough to fill her up.

All we're doing with his bowls/plates/spoons is washing them and storing them in our cupboard beside our plates. I'm not sure about sterilising stuff tbh, we haven't with his plates and didn't rewash either. Just took them out of the cupboard and started using them.

Weaning is a really big step, possibly more for us parents anyway, and it is something that you want to get right but go easy on yourself, we'll all figure out what is best for us and our little ones :)

Big :hugs:
I was a right panic about weaning, almost 2 months in and i still am :lol:

Pots, bowls and spoons i just wash in hot soapy water and store away with our items, i dont wash them before using. I did steralise a few times untill we got up to 6 months and established into feeding but that was personal preference.

She may have been sick from being overfull, as said the rice likely filled her up a bit then took a normal bottle on top so was more than what she was used to.

I bought the Annabel Karmel book called *New and complete baby and toddler meal planner* and i have found it soooo helpful. It has answered all the questions i had to ask and reassured me on any worries.

Good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->