first ever smear test next week nervous

bubblychick

Mum of G & M
Reaction score
Im booked in for my first ever smear test next week and im so nervous i know what to expect as ive had the procedure before for an sti test after my ex cheated on me but i have a naturally high cervix and they struggled to get a good sample then ive also had 2 failed sweeps as it cant be reached easily. Im not very good at relaxing when things go on down there i had yo use gas and air when i had my waters broken in labor with my son :( i neex advice to make me feel better and any tips on relaxing would be nice too :)

deep breathing should help. If you are worried about some minor pain, take some ibuprofin before you go. Also tell the dr that you are nervous and this is your first one, most are really conscientious and try hard to really explain what they are doing and to be a little more gentle. For me knowing what they are doing and where they are going to touch before they do it, helps me to not startle, even though I KNOW what they are doing down there

I hate getting these done, only in that I hate having someone look at my who-ha.... If men had to have these things done, they would have cures for everything girly already :)

Definitely explain your feelings to the doctor. If you think it would help, you can ask for a nurse to be present - they can help distract you and/or explain the process. In most cases, it's a 30 second process. The anticipation is the worst part! To help relax, make sure you're breathing. I know I have a tendency to hold my breath which only builds up the anxiety and makes my body too rigid.

Good luck - you'll be fine!

I had to have one when I was preg with LO :( I don't have any advice to give. I hated it. I hate it as much as I hate cervix checks. For me it feels like a knife is getting stuck up me.

Like already stated- take some deep breathes hun. I know it's not a fun situation- I've had them annually since I was 17! Obviously not as common in all countries- and it's never "easy" to just relax- but the more relaxed you are the easier and quicker it goes. Also, remind yourself it's only a few minutes-- you can do anything for a few mins right? Maybe even take an iPod and put some soft tunes in your ear buds ahead of time- or during- if you feel that might help... :hugs:

btw- I've always been more "sensative" down below-- but it's still minimal discomfort, the worst is the speculum insertion (just a bit uncomfy)- after that, it's a few quick pinches and done. I just try to breathe and focus on relaxing... as well I usually chat it up with my doc to make the time go faster!

Shoot- if you can get poked and prodded while prego! You got this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->