first meals...

ryder

Mum to Jasmine & Peyton
Reaction score
Just wondering what types of things other people started their babies with and why? I started with plain rice cereal and have recently added applesauce.

When you have tried other tstes did you still give them the other things? IE: applesauce for breakfast and then carrots at dinner? Or did you just give one food a day?

I suppose it depends on the age your LO is when you start too.

I started my LO at 5 months on fruit or vege purees. I think the first was carrot then apple (his favourite!).
I was told to introduce one new food at a time and to give it for 3 days. After the 3 days you can introduce something new - this way if baby has an allergic reaction you'll know what food caused it. Also, add new foods at lunchtime not in the evening.

Allergic reactions usually happen within 2 or 3 hours and if you give it in the eve then baby could be asleep in bed and you might not notice.

we started slowly with baby rice for a few days, then moved onto carrot (due to less likely to cause a reaction) then potato (she has a bad reaction to this :dohh:) then sweet potato and then apple! still trying more things, normally one at a time x

I just started her on rice, but I really am confused about this whole thing. :rofl:

I know you introduce 1 at a time, but once they've had something and you know they arnt allergice, when can you give more then 1 thing a day?

We started Hannah on rice and than oatmeal around 3.5 months at dinner time. We kept it at that until 5.5 months and than introduced breakfast. We'd give her oatmeal for breakfast and than oatmeal plus a veggie for dinner. A week or so after we went ahead and introduced lunch. Hannah had had some of the veggies prior to us weaning so I knew 3-4 things that she wasn't allergic to

Max started with baby oatmeal (never gave rice) at 3 months stayed on that once a day for 2 weeks ..he ate around 8am

After those 2 weeks I added applesauce for brunch so to say ..around 11am

I did 2 weeks intervinials each time ..then went on to breakfast , lunch and dinner by the time he was 6 months .

I know you introduce 1 at a time, but once they've had something and you know they arnt allergice, when can you give more then 1 thing a day?

as soon as you know something is safe you can have that every day if you want. Basically, once you know something is safe you can have it as and when you like , and mix it with other safe foods.
It's just the new things that need to be introduced one at a time. But you could have several "safe" foods in the same meal as a new ingredient.
Am I making sense?! It's dead easy but for some reason hard to describe¨? Or I'm tired and making a meal of it!:rofl:

as soon as I knew carrot was safe (after 3 days) on teh fourth day we had carrot and the new food (apple): Once we kmnew apple was safe we could vary our meals with carrot, apple and the new food (sweet potato) After htat was confirmed as safe we could mix them all plus whatever I chose to introduce next.

Thanks Tinytoes.. that is eaxactly what I was trying to ask about... lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->