First paediatric assessment in ages, what to expect?

emyandpotato

Reaction score
After my amazing GP pestered them for ages I have finally got Rory's paediatric appointment through. Last time he was assessed he was I think only about 1 and it was just for speech and was in a different area, now it's general development. What can I expect from the process? Will it just be watching him play or will it be medical? Do they check up on parenting to make sure it's not a neglect issue? I'm quite nervous about it all!

I wonder if he wilk have a ruth griffiths assessment. It's a developmental test. They will ask if you had any issues with pregnancy and birth. Any major illnesses or issues possibly family hustory. How he is at home, how he is out does he interact with other children does he go to play groups or nursery etc. The paed will test him through play, stacking blocks, colouring, pretend play, asking him to choose the correct object etc. Probably will do a general checkover too height weight head circumference etc.

That's what we see the paed for but it could be different for you. I'm sure they do watch for neglect but that is just a formality.

during our diagnosis assessment she played with him and asked us a lot of questions. no questions about parenting skills though

since then, he has had a reassessment and at that appointment she barley played with him and mostly asked me questions. were going for another reassessment soon and hopefully it will be the final one

Most assessments we had were playing ones with me answering questions about him. He had one where they took his weight/height and took blood, I think that was just after his asd diagnosis.

Good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->