first pregnancy + home birth?

purplepeenut

Reaction score
Hi everyone :) I'm 15 + 3 weeks pregnant and I'm very passionate about having a natural birth and I don't want any interventions at all. I was planning on having a natural birth in the hospital but have since realised that it is going to be impossible to have it how I want it. From reading some birth stories I'm very excited about having my bub at home :D The problem is that other then attending the birth of my niece, I have no experience with childbirth! This is my first pregnancy and I'm feeling very overwhelmed. I haven't discussed homebirth with my OH but he's already agreed I make all the decisions in this case :thumbup: Of course he'll be suprised to learn I'm thinking about doing it in our room :haha: He has less experience then me so I know he is going to be very nervous!!

I'm 23, have a healthy BMI, no health problems and so far my pregnancy has been perfect. Very low risk. My baby is probably going to be very large due to family history and genetics. We are a tall bunch and my baby was measuring a week ahead on ultrasound at 13 weeks. Looking at my partner (who is nearly 7 foot and the same as all the men in my family also) the tech said it was probably genetics. My GP has already mentioned I might need a c-section (with an obvious glance at my partner) because even thought I'm tall I have very small bone structure and narrow hips :dohh: I don't want a c-section at all!!

My question is would you recomend a home birth to a first time Mum?? If so what can I do to prepare for it mentaly etc? Will having a bigger baby be riskier/harder to birth at home? Is home birth as risky as doctors like to say? How long can you be overdue before it's safer for your baby to be induced? Any advice at all would realy help! even telling me your personal experiences

YES! :D

https://www.homebirth.org.uk/firstbaby.htm

Yes, there is no reason why a first time, healthy low risk mom, can't have a homebirth. Read books specifically for homebirth and/or natural childbirth, find a Doula that has homebirth experience and/or a childbirth education specifically aimed at homebirth or natural childbirth. For low risk healthy mommas homebirth is no more dangerous than a hospital birth, and some studies suggest that it's safer for a low risk healthy mom. Midwives are trained and educated on normal birth and know what to look out for in terms of complications that would make a homebirth risky/unsafe. You're not overdue until past 42 weeks.

Thanks to both of you :) I think I just needed to hear some encouragment! I was shocked when I told my OH about it he was very open to the idea and even decided we could find the money for a private midwife. It isn't covered here in australia. Thats horrible considering a hospital birth would be completely free for us :( I guess it's worth it though.

I even told my sister who I thought would laugh in my face but she was so encouraging! She had a very traumatic experience in the hospital when she was induced without reason and had a terrible birthing experience. Being there for that is what totaly put me off a hospital birth.

I'm feeling so much enthusiasm from everyone so far I think I can handle the skeptics who'll try and rain on my parade :) Thanks so much for your enthusiasm!! :D

In my work, I support around 50/50 first time mums to mums of second or subsequent babies.

Here's an interning study just out:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1523-536X.2012.00534.x/abstract

"Despite care by the same midwives, first-time mothers who chose to give birth at home were not only more likely to give birth with no intervention but were also more likely to receive evidence-based care."

The reason first time mums tend to transfer in is not because of true emergencies but usually because they want more pain relief and that's generally from being tired. First time mums find it partiularly hard not to engage in their labour from the very first sensation when they should be either resting and ignoring early labour or have some really well practiced relaxation techniques at the ready. The problem seems to be that because as first timers we have nothing to compare it to, the relative intensity of early labour is often perceived to be more intense or much further on and they may stay awake over night bouncing on balls and just generally wearing themselves out before its actually establishing.

My advice is go for it. But do your preparation. Invest time in preparation be that active birth classes, yoga and breathing techniques, a doula, reading, hypno/relaxation type courses or home study programmes and have some good strategies ready so you can have a wonderful labour and birth :)

MervsMum,

I see that a lot on 3rd tri. Girls in the first labour start bouncing on a ball or staying up all night at the slightest sign of labour, no wonder they are so tired!!!

I agree with the others that you can definatly have your first at home! I toy'd with the idea of a home birth the first time but wanted the "safety" of the hospital - I was lucky and had a good birth. It did give me the confidence to birth at home the 2nd time but knowing more about how private midwives work now I would go back and do the 1st at home too. Your midwife follows you throughout the pregnancy and she knows how to read you during labour and will know if you need to transfer. At a hospital they can't concentrate on what you are doing, that is why they need to check your dialation to see what stage you are in, my midwife was amazing and just sat back and watched me and could tell where I was at in labour without needing to touch me.

Oh and don't worry about the whole large baby thing, it will grow to the size you can handle. My 2nd was much bigger than my 1st but he came out with no tearing (compared to 2nd degree tear 1st time) because of the guidance of my midwife :)

I had my first at home and I would recommend it. The website madasa recommended is great with lots of info and birth stories. To prepare I listened to a hypnobirthing cd which helped me relax and trust my body in the lead up to the birth. I didn't actually use it during labour but it was great as a relaxation tool. I went 5 days overdue and had decided if I went more than two weeks over I would opt for monitoring instead of induction but this is a personal choice and I would read up on your options nearer the time if you are concerned about this.

I didn't know what to expect as it was my first time but I would do it at home again in a heartbeat. I didn't have any pain relief as it was a quick birth and was lucky my midwife got there in time - not all labours start a with contractions at 10 minutes apart!! :haha:

I loved that it was really relaxed and pushed the placenta out myself - this took until 1 hour after the birth but did not feel stressed about it and I'm not sure I would have been allowed that time in hospital. My husband was also happier being at home and felt more involved.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and good luck :flower:

I can relate to this, although I'm 21, it's my first child and I too am interested in homebirth, yet hospital has more people, just in case something should be needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->