First time mum at 17 trying natural birth?

K

KayteeB

hi ladies *wave*

well im a 17 year old first time mum and i am determind to go natural with nothing but gas and air and a birthpool. Everyone tells me this is ridiculous and its not going to happen, but i really want to be able to do it especially because i have a MASSIVE fear of needles which is why i dont want any drips or needle pain relief as i believe that itself will make labour alot more stressful

My labour is low-risk and Im planning to use a birthpool, gas and air and hypnobirthing techniques and give birth in a birth centre. Do you think this is achieveable?

More than achieveable, it's admirable, and so many women have their babies this way day in, day out.

Get yourself well informed and don't let anyone put you off, particularly because of your age. Good luck!

That's the birth I'm hoping for too. Anything is possible as they say, I hope it works out for you! Having a supportive birthing partner who can fight your corner and help make sure it happens is important I think xxxxx

It is totally possible. I delivered a 16 year olds baby who did exactly the same.
Good luck x

Of course it's achievable, plenty of young mothers do the same

when I first got pregnant, I expected to get an epidural cuz I figured that to be the 'norm,' sadly, but around my 30th week it suddenly hit me that "hey, I can do this the all natural way," so I set my mind on it. I took a lamaze class, and asked other women who have also had all natural births. Something that I got a lot of was that they had mentioned they would "try", and in the end, some settled on some form of meds (not the epidural) and really regret it. Others who went all natural all had really great experiences.

The way I see it, if all those women centuries before me could do it, then so can I! So I told myself, I'm not going to try it, I'm going to do it, no questions asked, and it leaves me feeling empowered in a way, like "I am woman, hear me roar" lol :D

There are a bunch of great coping techniques I found online that I plan on trying.

Good luck!

Hi KayteeB, I recognise you from the teen section :) I'm 17 too, and I'm planning a home waterbirth. Don't let anyone put you off, I'm always here for encouragement & support if you need it, I'm just a PM or facebook message away! x

your messages of support are great, thanks so much ladies. Its so odd because some days im not scared about the birth at all and i think i can do it and then other days (like today) i am sooooo scared. But i know i can do, i will do and ill be so happy when i do it! haha. Good luck to all of you who are also having naturals, we will do it ladies x

It's totally normal to get scared but remember, it's because of how we've previously been conditioned by others. Do you think cavewomen were scared of birth? That's because nature was the only way and it was how it is meant to be - beautiful and amazing. Doing loads of research will help combat the fears, definitely :) x

I am planning for a water birth with gas and air at my local hospital :flower: xx

I was 18 when I had my daughter, and the thought of epidural (more so being temporarily paralyzed) terrified me. I went without it, just had gas and air. It was fine, and non stressful. My labor was also low risk.
I'm researching a water birth for this time round, and I plan on using only gas and air. Be strong and don't be scared. Have some faith in yourself :) x

I had an all natural birth (plus no gas and air as we don't get the option in the US) and I would gladly do it again. I had a wonderful experience. :cloud9:

^ I'm pretty sure I've seen oxygen masks at all birthing stations I've looked at. Do they not 'let' you have it unless THEY tell you to? Never seen the gas though.

You can do it! Don't let people scare you into thinking you're not capable. I'm trying for a natural birth (not a waterbirth since in my state you can only have one if you are at home.) There is no shame in opting for pain meds if you get to the point where you can't tolerate any more (there will be several of those points!) Just know there is an end in sight and every contraction, every hour that passes you're closer to your baby. Read as much as possible, I'm trying to gather information also. I got a birthing ball, something I should have tried last time. I don't know why everyone is so quick to tell a girl that she can't do it. You'd think more people would try and encourage and empower birth experiences but I've found most people scoff at my wishes too.

Lol im 17 to and thats exactly what i am planning on. i dont like the thought of a epidural i think i can acheive it :) good luck x

i was 16 when i got pregnant with my first son and 17 when i had him, alot of people told me i wouldnt cope with the pain when i told them my birth plan, which was as natural as possible, he came at 38wks, i started with backache 2 days before and then contractions from around 8pm on the 3rd day, i ended up going to the mw led unit at 630am the 4th day and i had him at 350pm the 4th day. they mw had to break my waters for me cos they didnt break but thats no biggy and i did it all on just gas and air, i couldnt get in the pool cos someone was using it they only had 1 at that time. so i proved them all wrong, of course you can do it, dont let anyone else tell you different.

8yrs later i had another boy and i whinged and cried like i was dying lol, my first was definatley the easiest labour out of the 2.

good luck and do whatever you feel is right dont be bullied into anything you dont want to do.xx

hi,
i had my 1st at 18, now ive got 4 - 2 of which were homebirths & i have never used anything stronger then gas & air & the 2 homebirths i only got to use it for the last 10minutes (thats when for some reason i decided the pain was bad enough!)

just because you are younger it does not mean you cannot cope with the pain & have to have loads of pain relief - more then any other mum in labour!
its entirely normal to worry about the birth, especially 1st time round!
good luck & im sure everything will go to plan xx

i would defo watch some waterbirth videos on youtube so you get an idea of what it could be like, im all for natural birth and want a waterbirth with this one although we are opting for the MW unit rather than home for various reasons.

Best tip i have for labour is to take control of the contractions let your body do what its doing naturally but dont tense up agaisnt the pain embrace it and breathe through it and concentrate on relaxing through the contraction it really does help the pain,

also consider TENS as a pain relief option for before the pool caus first labors can be long and i found my TENS really helped me manage at home loads longer than i would have otherwise

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->