Fish pie... help!

Hayley90

Complete
Reaction score
:wave:

hi ladies! I am a cooking newbie!!!

Recently me and L have been trying to eat new food, stuff we've not made before, stuff we didn't think we'd like etc. I made sausage casserole last week which worked out brilliantly, and now we want to try fish pie!

Problem is, i cant eat any type of shellfish. so, what fish can i put in it? All the recipies i see include prawns :shrug:

What fish goes well with salmon? we like pretty much anything, but i know certain fishes dont taste right etc. Any decent recipies? heeeelp!!

Thankyou muchly :) xxx

I make a fish pie without prawns and just use salmon and a cheap smoked fish like coley and its delicious. Just poach your fish in milk for 5 mins then strain the milk and put aside for your sauce for later. Boil and mash your potatoes, fry off some leeks in butter. When your leeks are softened, make a basic white sauce with butter and flour then add the milk and keep stirring till thick and creamy then add in the leeks, peas and sweetcorn, you can add dill aswell or parsley which is really nice. Flake the fish into the sauce and mix carefully then pour in a baking dish and top with the mash, cook till browned on top its so yummy :)

i just make it with any fish i fancy- cod or haddock. i dont often use smoked fish coz it gives me heartburn but if i do its half and half "normal" to smoked fish, boil it, make white sauce with a bit of mustard, mix it all together top with mash and oven it to finish it off.

last time i did it i chucked in loads of veg instead of having them on the side and it was amazing!! sweetcorn, carrots, peas and broccoli in the sauce then i put them all in individual ramekin dishes.

does fish pie taste... FISHY?
so silly Q but I hate fishy fish. I will only eat fishfingers or haddock breaded portions.
ANything else, even tuna, it makes me feel sick!

does fish pie taste... FISHY?
so silly Q but I hate fishy fish. I will only eat fishfingers or haddock breaded portions.
ANything else, even tuna, it makes me feel sick!

if you do it like i described above with loads of veg then no it doesnt :thumbup:

I use salmon and a cheapish smoked fish hun. If you don't like smoked fish, you can buy any white fish you fancy, but it won't have as much taste to it. Good luck with it xx

i just normally use cod...its the only fish i can stomach so adam has a fishy meal lol i just cook up some cod..its usually ready when its white :) chop that up into chunks..make a cheese sauce (i usually get a bisto one :blush:) and get a bit of parsley..just a dash if its dried.. a few leaves chopped if fresh, bung that mixture with the fish into an oven bowl top with mash and grated cheese and vola :p thats as simple as i make it

Just cod for me too. xx

I use whatever I have in the freezer! Generally salmon and smoked fish (we include prawns if we have them). I poach this, make a cheese sauce including the poaching milk and add some parsely or whatever I fancy. I boil an egg (hard boiled) and chop this up, flake the fish and put it in the pie dish with the egg and pour over the sauce. Top with mash and put it in the oven til it's browny on top.
I've also done it with veg in (grated carrot and celery is what Jamie Oliver does I think) and without the egg. It's very easy to chop and change and once you've found the right recipe for you it's so easy to make.

Ooh yum, its not a proper fish pie without boiled egg. I thought it sounded really disgusting when i first heard it, but i tried it and the flavours really work!

I make my fish pie pretty much the same as the other recipes here, but i use 3 types of fish (salmon, smoked haddock and a white fish) and prawns, peas, broccoli, white sauce using the milk i used to cook the fish, dill, parsley and boiled egg. mash to top, and if i want a little change i use half n half normal mash and sweet potato mash (yum) top with breadcrumbs and grated cheese and oven cook til its golden.

xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->