Flats and handwashing/ hand drying?

Feronia

Reaction score
I’m moving to a new apartment where I won’t have an in-suite washer and dryer, and someone suggested that I ditch my prefolds and switch to flats since they dry really quickly. Is anyone else doing this? I could use some tips! I’m due in February and my daughter is potty trained, so I’ll only need supplies for a newborn.

I also saw the suggestion to use a 5 gallon bucket and a plunger, but any more tips would be great! What is your wash/dry routine?

Also, do one-sized flats work from newborn to toddler? How many should I get if I plan to wash every 2-3 days? I know a mama selling 24 for $1 each so I was thinking of buying those and using my 12 newborn prefolds as backup. Thanks!

Flats here are different from other countries I think (where are you? I can't see on mobile). Here they are a brushed cotton like pyjama or winter sheet fabric. Flats in most places seem to be like towel fabric? I guess you could attempt to dry a towel inside your current home and see how long it takes.

Our brushed cotton flats are fast drying especially if hung on a clothes horse in front of a sunny window.

I found them far too bulky for a newborn but if you had a smaller size and learn the folds, I don't see why it wouldn't work. It's all people had in the 'old days'.

Hand washing never phases me but getting the water wrung out sucks. Its so hard on the hands. I'd buy some sort of wringer.

I'm in Canada -- are they called something else in other places?
I'm thinking of something like these: https://www.caterpillarbaby.com/unbleached-birdseye-flat-diapers.html

Thanks for the suggestion of a wringer! I make small babies so I guess I should make sure they won't be too big first.

I just ordered those exact diapers :) Well, I ordered the bigger ones. I'm very excited to try them.

I don't have any experience hand washing them but I think they really should dry fast. They look very thin to me.

I think maybe at first it should be pretty easy with just breast milk poops but it will be a little harder later when weaning starts. But, I think by then you will be an old hack at handwashing and it'll be no problem then either. :)

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"