• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Flips over and face plants during sleep

1nceUponATime

Reaction score
My 6 month old has recently begun flipping over in her sleep onto her belly. I'm already scared of something bad happening to her, but okay she's very capable of flipping back and forth and has great head control... but I keep finding her on her belly and face planted into the mattress! How is this even comfortable for her? The doctor told me if I notice her on her belly I should flip her back.... but she's already a crappy sleeper (waking at minimum twice if not up to a million times at night lol) and "repositioning" will become her waking up and screaming bloody murder till I have to nurse her back to sleep. Ughhh. Just frustrated.

It is terrifying when they start sleeping like that! Our pediatrician said there is no need to flip her over so long as she got herself into that position. Just follow all the standard guidelines, firm mattress, tight sheet, no blankets, etc. I have gone in and oh so gently repositioned my daughter's head slightly without waking her because I just can't stand when her nose is smooshed into the mattress.

I repositioned her head last night. I guess because it's new it's scary to me. We don't put anything in there w her so at least there's nothing she can get in trouble with.

We always put Poppy to sleep on her back, but she'll flip over every night now when she's ready to fall asleep. She won't stay on her back at all anymore. I think if they get themselves like that, it's perfectly okay. Poppy started doing it around 7 months, and we haven't had any worries or problems! :) They can flip back over if they need to. Xx

Esme started doing this as soon as she could roll on to her stomach at 3/4 months, which was a worry because she couldn't roll back. But every time we put her on her back again she'd roll back! We had to chill out over it in the end as it was clearly how she was most comfortable. I'd say try not to worry :), if she can flip back she'll be fine.

Our grandson started doing this a few weeks back, just before he turned 4 months, the first night I kept him it freaked me out (both my boys never rolled in their sleep) I stayed awake most of the night rolling him back everytime he done it, I spoke to his mum about it and she said he does it all the time but she was told by her healthvistor if he is able to roll from back to front that he can certainly roll from front to back and to just let him be, the next time I kept him I put him to sleep on his back, woke up later and he was on his tummy, I left him alone and true enough the next time I woke he was back on his back. It is scary and even now when he stays with me I sleep very lightly, I am always scared of him getting stuck.

My lb has been doing the same for the last month or so. We used to constantly move him onto his back but then we would disturb his sleep and he would wake constantly. Decided to be brave as he's obviously comfy and he sleeps through and ends up waking up in a different position anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->