Foley Bulb induction, support/stories

shelby1090

Reaction score
So I'm 40+4 FTM and am scheduled to be induced Thursday/Friday using a Foley bulb Thursday evening then going back in once it falls out to start pitocin. Looking for *positive* stories with the use of the bulb/pit. I'm a doula so please no comments on waiting longer, I have my reasons for scheduling an induction at 41weeks. My cervix is "favorable" I've had two sweeps (one at 39 and one at 40). I was 1cm and 80% effaced and very soft. Of course I'm praying I go into labor on my own before then but it looks like our little girl is quite comfy. Thanks for any advice or positive stories you can give!

No personal experience with that although I haven't heard great things... Any reason why they won't insert cervadil instead? Which is a tablet as opposed to the foley?

They prefer to try non medicinal first. The Foley is simply mechanical.in opening the cervix. They would.probably use cervadil first if inwasnt dilated to some extent already

I have not but I will be induced this way if I go over and have done research into it and there have been some very in depth studies.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/10October/Pages/foley-catheter-vs-prostaglandin-induced-labour.aspx

I was induced with the foley 8 days ago. I won't lie, it was a bit uncomfortable going in but once there it was fine, they taped it to my inner thigh and I was able to walk around etc.
I had mine placed in about 9pm and doctor told me they only expected me to be 3cm by the morning. (I was not dilating at all and induced at 41 wks).
To everyone's surprise at 7am I was 6cm!
The foley ended up falling out itself but it did what it was supposed to :)

I hope you have a pleasant experience with it. My only recommendation is to get as much rest as possible while it's in.
Good luck and congratulations on your upcoming LO! :)

Wow twinmum great article! Very informative!
MnGmakes3 I'm glad you had a successful induction with it. I'm hoping since my cervix is already "favorable" that it will be just what I need to trigger labor. They do send me home with it and told me to take a Tylenol PM to try and rest and then when it falls out to call them and they'll tell us when to come in. We are a military family and the mil hospital tends to be very busy so I have to wait until they have a bed for me or they could send us to a civilian hospital. Either way its happening tomorrow sometime and I just want it over! I'm ready to meet my baby!

Wow twinmum great article! Very informative!
MnGmakes3 I'm glad you had a successful induction with it. I'm hoping since my cervix is already "favorable" that it will be just what I need to trigger labor. They do send me home with it and told me to take a Tylenol PM to try and rest and then when it falls out to call them and they'll tell us when to come in. We are a military family and the mil hospital tends to be very busy so I have to wait until they have a bed for me or they could send us to a civilian hospital. Either way its happening tomorrow sometime and I just want it over! I'm ready to meet my baby!

The only thing I would suggest is to ask them if there's a back up plan in case you are dilated more than the "expected" and start having contractions. I certainly hope that doesn't happen and you don't have to wait long to get a bed.
Xx

Edit: I forgot to mention the foley only takes you so far so you'll probably get Pitocin or Cervidil, in which case make sure you ask for pain meds early on (if you're going that route). With me I got the epi at the 6cm and I was stuck at 7cm for 8 hrs, :)hissy:) by then the epi was wearing off so I had to ask for another. :blush:

That's the plan, the bulb then following morning start low dose pit and go from there. Good idea though asking about what options are if I'm dilated more and need a bed sooner than expected. From what I understand is of I go in and they're full and I'm in active labor they'll send me to a civilian hospital. If I'm supposed to start pit then I assume I have to wait for a bed :/

That's the plan, the bulb then following morning start low dose pit and go from there. Good idea though asking about what options are if I'm dilated more and need a bed sooner than expected. From what I understand is of I go in and they're full and I'm in active labor they'll send me to a civilian hospital. If I'm supposed to start pit then I assume I have to wait for a bed :/

I hope they have you waiting in the hospital though. Sending you lots of well wishes for a safe and easy delivery :hugs:

I was admitted to the hospital and had a folley inserted. I spent the night and the next morning it was removed. I was 4 cm. I had my waters broke and pitocin started. From the time pitocin was started to giving birth was around 20 hours. It was a good experience for me. The folley wad a bit uncomfortable but I slept through most of it. And let's be honest labor was way more uncomfortable. If I have to be induced again I plan to request a folley first.

Good luck hun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->