Folic Acid - How much and when?

Amygdala

Reaction score
Hi girls!

I know there's loads of conflicting advice out there so I was just wondering what everyone on here is doing. Are you taking folic acid? And if you do, in what dosage? How long before TTC did you/will you start taking it?

Thanks!

I'm taking Pregnacare, have been taking it properly since start of October. It's got 400mcg of folic acid in it plus other vits etc. I switched to that from normal multi vits so it's not too bad :) I don't have a prob with it but I've heard some people get a dogdy stomach from it so if you have an irritable tummy might be worth just taking folic acid. You can get it super cheap from Tesco etc. My mom (who is a midwife) says you can take it for years without any probs... it's recommended you start at least 3months before just to get your levels up, but you can start earlier if you want.

I take an inexspensive brand of pre-natals. I'm planning to switch to a bit better brand about three months before TTC. My brand has 800 mcg of folic acid. I haven't had any troubles with it either. Hope this helps my dear. :hugs:

Hi Im also taking pregnacare and it has 400mcg of folic acid. Saying that though - it is much healthier if you can try and get as much folic acid from your diet than taking suppliments. (like all things though!) the only thing you need to be wary of is not to exceed the recommended dose, and not to take it later in pregnancy as recent studies have shown it increases the risk of asthma in the baby by 30%.......

I'm not ttc until April but I've been taking folic acid since September. It's just a very basic, very cheap 400 micrograms per tablet folic acid tablets. I'll be swopping to a proper prenatal when my current tablets run out on the 13th of next month!

Beca :wave:

I am taking 400 mg of folic acid as recommended by my doctor (apparently you should be taking 400mg minimum)

When I am 3 months before TTC I will move up to pregnacare since that has all the extra goodies in it too (vitamins and minerals etc) Boots had a 3 for 2 on for a while don't know if its still on :blush: I will probably end up taking iron tablets too.

Honestly though I don't think anything like that can beat a good diet, folic acid is found in most green veggies and remember your omega 3 from your little friend the fishy :haha:

I'm not TTC until June 2010 but I started taking 400mg of folic acid a couple of months ago just because we arn't being religiously careful on the contraception front so I thought I should get into the habit of taking it!

I picked up some micro tablets a few weeks ago and I much prefer them - they are tiny - like the size of a BCP - so if you're not keen on popping pills then they are a bonus.

Defitely agree on the good healthy diet point though - I am pretty good with my five a day but I have been picking up some more kale, savoy cabbage, spinach and brocolli and other green leafy stuff when I do my weekly shop :flower:

I am taking 1mg of folic acid the recommendations are higher over here for some reason. I started it at the start of November and TTC in FEB and you need to continue it for the entire 1st trimester as thats when alot of the babies neurological system is made. they advise at least 3 months prior to and 1st tri. No evidence that it helps if you take it beyond the 1st tri.

I started taking a regular womens multivitamin back in March, then I switched to a prenatal at the end of August. But I have been having alot of difficulties with my skin with acne, and I read on-line that vitamins with iodine in them can sometimes cause acne. My prenatals did have iodine, so I am going to do a little test. I stopped the prenatals and am now taking 1mg of folic acid on its own. And I will see if my skin clears a little bit. I will probably go back to the prenatals because of the other good stuff in them.

I am taking 1mg of folic acid the recommendations are higher over here for some reason. I started it at the start of November and TTC in FEB and you need to continue it for the entire 1st trimester as thats when alot of the babies neurological system is made. they advise at least 3 months prior to and 1st tri. No evidence that it helps if you take it beyond the 1st tri.

I think folic acid is added to some food over here like bread so that might be why its lower?

Started 400mg folic acid a couple of weeks ago and will swap to pregnacare or similar when actively TTC next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->