Folic acid vs folate

chrissytina

Reaction score
I'm taking these vitamins called Vitamin Code Raw Prenatal. They have 800 mcg of folate. But I have another vitamin that has 800 mcg of folic acid. What is the difference? Which is better? I did some research online and there really isn't any medical articles with information, just some health bloggers. Anyone with a medical degree who can tell me the difference?

I don't know what the difference is either...any way you could schedule an appt with your doctor to ask?
BTW where did you get your prenatal? Are they all natural??

Some women have a genetic thing that causes them to miscarry when they take folic acid versus folate. I forgot the details, but I remember a few women talking about it on the tww board a few cycles ago. But it is a rare condition from what I understood. In theory, folate is the new cool thing instead of folic acid. I use the one a day prenatal which uses folic acid. I think folate is natural versus folic acid is artificial. Just different sources for the same nutrient.

I don't know what the difference is either...any way you could schedule an appt with your doctor to ask?
BTW where did you get your prenatal? Are they all natural??

I get them from Whole Foods. It's Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw Prenatal. Before I got pregnant I took Garden of Life one a day for woman because it's the only one that didn't make my stomach hurt.

Some women have a genetic thing that causes them to miscarry when they take folic acid versus folate. I forgot the details, but I remember a few women talking about it on the tww board a few cycles ago. But it is a rare condition from what I understood. In theory, folate is the new cool thing instead of folic acid. I use the one a day prenatal which uses folic acid. I think folate is natural versus folic acid is artificial. Just different sources for the same nutrient.

Wow really that is so weird about the genetic thing. I called the pharmacy and they said folic acid and folate are the same, but clearly they aren't if some people miscarry when taking folic acid but not folate.

Try this site has all the info on it. It's a metabolism thing. A few women on here were saying they kept m/cing despite their levels and everything checking out. Then, the doctor tested them for that metabolism thing and found out they had it and were taking folic acid which was likely why they kept cing.
https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/folate

Try this site has all the info on it. It's a metabolism thing. A few women on here were saying they kept m/cing despite their levels and everything checking out. Then, the doctor tested them for that metabolism thing and found out they had it and were taking folic acid which was likely why they kept cing.
https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/folate

Thanks Dobby great article

The genetic thing is a mutation of your genes, it's actually not that rare. It's the mthfr gene mutation and there are many types of it. Folate (B9) is the original form and most readily available to the human body for consumption and usage. Folic acid is a synthetic version. (Man made) and is not readily absorbed. For people with the gene mutation folic acid actually blocks the absorption of folate which can cause problems. It actually doesn't cause a woman to miscarry directly but it can if there is a folate (B9) deficiency that causes neural and other birth defects.

My recommendation to any woman in ttc and childbearing age is to take the most natural form of any supplement. That's what our bodies were intended to absorb. Many woman don't have issues, others do and never realize it!
Hope this helps!

https://chriskresser.com/folate-vs-folic-acid/

Chris Kresser is a famous naturopath.

Many health bloggers have a science/medical/etc. background or at least a lot of experience and knowledge. Good bloggers stick to real studies and cite doctors or new research. Some share personal experiences.
It can definitely be helpful to read also:
https://wellnessmama.com/12543/folic-acid-vs-folate/

Many health bloggers have a science/medical/etc. background or at least a lot of experience and knowledge. Good bloggers stick to real studies and cite doctors or new research. Some share personal experiences.

Silly/lazy question, what is a naturopath? I'm assuming someone who is really into natural approaches to things.

Ive not looked at supplements yet, likely i'll just pop into the health food shop in town and pick up something from their range

Silly/lazy question, what is a naturopath? I'm assuming someone who is really into natural approaches to things.

A doctor that works with natural medicine and dietary cures. Not so much mainstream drugs your average doctor would prescribe.
For example, mineral and nutrient deficiencies can lead to illness. He would actually have a look at that and correct it.
Or:
Poor digestion can be a culprit for health issues so restoring good bacteria or stomach acid can help.
My GP would never even mention such things :lol:.

Just wanted to add to above info, that taking Folic acid when you do have the gene mutation has also been linked to Lip and Tongue ties in babies which cause breastfeeding issues. I didn't know anything about this issue until a friends baby had a severe tongue tie and she did some research.

I am taking B vitamin complex with folate this time in addition to prenatals.

Folate vs Folic can't really be generalized into "natural" vs "synthetic" and it is a superficial uninformed health blogger misinterpretation.

Folate is a name for a SALT deriving from folic acid (like any other salt: ie. nitrates are nitric acid salts, sulfates are sulfuric acid salts); folic acid needs to be converted to folate to be further used in our bodies - and folate itself needs further conversion to actually work:

our organisms use several enzymes (not only the MTHFR enzyme) to convert folate into usable form called methylene-tetrahydrofolate, a molecule that is involved in several complex biochemical pathways involved with DNA synthesis (production) and methylation: when your baby grows, it needs LOADS of new DNA for the new cells - the DNA synthesis during pregnancy is running at its MAXIMUM speed and it requires all the building blocks for it, and methylene-THF is a crucial percussor in making those building blocks for DNA.

if you are already taking 800mg folate, you definitely DO NOT need to take another dose of folic acid on top - the recommended doses for pregnancy vary between 400-800mg - introducing 1600 a day is useless. Especially since folic acid needs to be converted to folate and with high concentrations of folate you are taking, the conversion process is even slower.

IMHO, i'd go with folate over folic acid anytime as it requires one step less to be processed by our bodies, and it is absorbed better so you use it more effectively.

I actually can answer this very easily. Folate and folic acid are the same thing. I know this medically. I suffered folate deficiency. Basically my natural folic acid stores had dropped very low whilst my b12 hadn't. I was prescribed folic acid. I questioned the doctors on the difference and he explained thereally isn't any. Folate is another word for folic acid. Just as iron tablets are sometimes called ferritin. Folic acid is folate but man made. Your tablets make no difference as they both will do the job. But the better would be the folate tablets x

The issue is that it's hard to find a prenatal with Folate or even just WITHOUT folic acid.

Miss Cherry the theory is that for people lacking enzyme to convert it is a huge difference.

MissCherry, it is absolutely not the same thing. I often find medical docs lack basic chemistry/biochemistry knowledge and thus spread lots of imprecise/wrong information. Folic acid is an acid, folate is the salt of that very acid. Folic acid is way more present on the market under different brand names (Folacin-800, FA-8, Folvite, Folio Forte, etc) and needs an enzyme to convert it to folate (salt form) in our bodies.

People who lack this enzyme or bear a mutation within its gene (that causes the enzyme to work poorly) have issues using folic acid.

Pure Encapsulations have a folate supplement, and i also thing Solgar folate has just a folate containing supplement.

folic acid is the synthetic form of folate. Folate is easier to process and is the natural composition of the vitamin closer to that found in spinach, kale, raw fruits/veggies

Edit; the only supplements I take are 800mg folate tablets, vitamin c PRN, and vitamin D. All my levels are good looking otherwise

I agree with those saying folate is better. I'm not a doctor, but I am on my fourth pregnancy and have taken folate - not folic acid - with each one. You may notice if you take folic acid and then switch to folate and other bio available B vitamins vs synthetic that you'll feel better and have better energy because it gets absorbed easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->