Folic Acid

Ready2Go

Mummy to 1 little lady
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've read on some websites that if you've had a family history of spina bifida then you may be requested to up your dosage of folic acid pre-conception. The closest case in my family was my Great Aunty, so it's 2 generations above me... do you ladies have any idea whether I should up my dose or do I have to go and see my wicked Doc?

Thanks for your help, and Happy St David's Day!

x

I think at least 3 months before is when you should start upping your dose, but some people have been on it for years with no problems. The only time you might have an issue with folic acid is if you're anaemic or anything like that, as far as I'm aware. If you feel worried about it though then pop to the docs :) x

reguar women should take 200mg of folic acis conceiving or pregnant women 400 so u could mebbi up it to 600 but i reccomend having a chat with that evil doc or at least a not so evil nurse??

Thank you ladies! Have to go see Doc anyway to talk about implant removal (scared it's gonna hurt lots :( ) but until then I think I will up my dose until I do. Thanks for your help x

Ah don't worry about that! Had mine out a couple of years ago & didn't hurt at all! :) xx

I would definately take it if you have any close family history - my 2nd cousin has it, and I took folic acid at the normal dose and my LO has SB. I would go to your docs and ask for the higher dosage

Thanks for the reassurance Kintenda - I think I've just heard scare stories, but it really hurt going in!

And thanks for the advice hr.lr.07 - and your little girl is sooo gorgeous! Love that pic with her cheeky smile!

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->