For those who like classic, traditional but not overly common names...

Amygdala

Reaction score
Can you help me decide between our top 4 choices?

We have a LOT of criteria. We're looking for a name that
- is classic, preferably Greek in origin, or possibly Latin
- is not overused these days
- is recognisable, nothing that sounds weird or made up
- is easily pronounceable in English and German, so no Rs, Gs or THs (I'm sure there's more)
- if possible has a nice meaning. This isn't an absolute essential but would be nice

With that in mind, we currently like four names:
Marlene (Mar-LEH-nuh, as in the actress Marlene Dietrich)
Leonora
Antonia
Philippa

What do you think? Do any of them sound very odd/exotic/foreign to you? Can you think of others that might fit our criteria?

Marlene i would personally say Mar-lane
Marlena on the other hand i would say Mar-len-nuh

I also like Isadora

Marlene - would be my favourite from your list with Leonora a close second.

I used to work with an Antonia and she was a cow so put me off the name and Phillipa doesn't sound exotic at all as its quite a common name from the 80's and 90's in the UK.

Marlene! :winkwink: It's very classy, feminine and timeless in my opinion. We pronounce it Mar-leen which is also easy to pronounce for Germans (trust me, I know!).

There are quite a few names here : https://www.babynames.org.uk/greek-girl-baby-names.htm

Some suggestions:

Phoebe
Alexandra
Alyssa
Delphine
Dora
Evangeline
Isadora
Karissa
Lydia
Melissa
Sapphira
Tabitha

Im pretty sure over here Marlene is pronounced MAR-LEAN, if pronunciation is going to be a problem i would avoid it

I like Lenora and Antonia

not a fan of philipa sorry

Hey!

The first thing that I thought was, isn't Marlene pronounced Mar-lean. I think this is something you are going to get a lot, the baby being called Mar-lean rather than Mar-leh-nuh, therefore going against your criteria of being easily pronounceable, but would be easily solved by using the spelling Marlena. I think Marlene pronounced as you would like is a very pretty name and would be my fave from your list, but I def think you should change the spelling. I'm not keen on any of the others to be honest.

In answer to your question, "Do any of them sound very odd/exotic/foreign to you?", I would say Marlene sounds the most exotic, Leonora and Antonia also sound slighty foreign.

Some suggestions which meet your criteria:
(I'm assuming the letters in your criteria are for the first letter of the name only as a couple of yours included an R)

Agatha - Greek origin. Meaning "Good".
Calista - Greek origin. Meaning "The most beautiful".
Cora - Greek origin. Meaning "Maiden".
Elisa - Greek origin. Meaning "My God is a vow".
Elsa - Greek origin. Meaning "My God is a vow".
Elsbeth - Greek origin. Meaning "My God is a vow".
Ophelia - Greek origin. Meaning "Help; aid". (This is the second girls name on our list...stunning!)
Penelope - Greek origin. Meaning "Weaver; duck".
Philomena - Greek origin. Meaning "To love strength".
Angelica - Latin origin. Meaning "Of the angels".
Beatrix - Latin origin. Meaning "Voyager through life".
Florence - Latin origin. Meaning "Blossoming; charming". (Our chosen girls name...stunning!)

:flower:

Of your top 4, my favourite is Philippa with Antonia coming second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->