For those who've done this before: did you use undershirts or onesies?

BeachgalNY

Reaction score
I'm reading up on baby clothes, and found an article on WebMD which said this:

Undershirts: 4-6, short- or long-sleeved

Undershirts that snap or tie on the side are easier to put on a small baby than those that pull over the head. Undershirts are also better than onesies until your baby's umbilical cord falls off.

For those of you who have had a baby before, did you find this to be true? Did you use undershirts (even if it was cold when your baby was born) instead of onesies at first?

I think terminology can change across the pond, but this is what I used.

Underneath all outfits, I would put what I call a vest or a body suit. Basically a little t-shirt that does up with poppers under the crotch.

Over the top I used either sleep suits at night (all in one, long arms, long legs and covers the feet)

During the day, I would use leggings/trousers and long sleeved t-shirts. With a cardigan as and when necessary.

I found those little side snap shirts the most convenient until the umbilical stump fell off, and while they're super tiny...like for the first 2 -3 weeks. I liked the long sleeved version, with the little cuffs that fold over their hands like mittens (because real mittens don't stay on and it keeps lo from scratching their face).
I usually just had that with a diaper and cap, then swaddled with a soft blanket, but sometimes I put on long soft pants with little booties attached (socks fall off too!). Makes it easy to change diapers too :)
Oh, and we're in Texas so it doesn't really get that cold, but we usually stayed indoors during those first couple weeks anyways. After that, we used onesies that snap between the legs.

For my first two the hospital supplied the little shirts with the cuffs over the hands (like 2 or 3) so we used those for the first couple days but after that I always used onsies with the snaps between the legs because they didn't ride up under the babies clothes if I put more than one layer on. The shirts are nice but they always ended up all bunched up under a sleeper. The umbilical stump doesn't often get caught on the onsies and if it does you usually notice it before you pull to hard.

Until my baby's umbilical cord fell off, she pretty much lived in a diaper and little side-snap long-sleeve undershirts. It was just the easiest and most practical thing. I didn't have to pull anything over her head, which was great, especially when she was fussy and I didn't want to annoy her more than necessary. The undershirts were also good for not rubbing against the umbilical stump.

Once the umbilical stump was off and healed though, we started using onsies instead. The advantage to those is that they don't ride up, so they keep her little belly covered and warm. She also became more mellow a week or 2 after birth, and doesn't mind now if we pull a onsie over her head.

I got away with 3 long-sleeve side-snap undershirts, and a ton of onsies (mainly because people gave me lots of cute ones, so i put her in a different one every day- I could get away with a lot less).

We used vest suits with snaps under the crotch with long sleeved sleep suits over the top. To be honest I've never seen undershirts with side snaps here in the UK so I think most UK mamas use the same as me and the PP from UK.

I used onsies but nb were always baggy on my kids anyway.

we used onesies. Yes - they touched the umbilical stump but i don't think that really mattered much.

I call all of them onesies ahhaha but yes the snap up ones are SO much easier though I didn't have any in preemie size.

I'm reading up on baby clothes, and found an article on WebMD which said this:

Undershirts: 4-6, short- or long-sleeved

Undershirts that snap or tie on the side are easier to put on a small baby than those that pull over the head. Undershirts are also better than onesies until your baby's umbilical cord falls off.

For those of you who have had a baby before, did you find this to be true? Did you use undershirts (even if it was cold when your baby was born) instead of onesies at first?

That just sounds like a way to get parents to part with more of their cash. We used vests that cover the butt and do up under the crotch with poppers. No idea wtf thats called in the US, but here its just "vests".

I'm planning on using a vest/bodysuit with long arms, a sleepsuit with long arms and legs and scratch mittens :)

Okay - someone seriously need to make a visual translation of these between US terms and UK terms. :D I had to think what the heck are poppers! I believe in the US, they're called snaps, at least that's what *I* call them!

FWIW - I most likely will just use onesies for a while since my baby will be born in May and it can get pretty hot here from May-Aug. Haven't decided if I'll have a t-shirt with just diapers for a while until the cord falls out.

Same as the other UK mamas - vests with poppers/snaps at crotch and onesies over the top.

We had no trouble with DD's umbilical stump.

First few days baby just worn side snap shirt with diaper...swaddle, mostly skin to skin... After a week I was putting gowns on or using side snap shirts and pants...

When UC fell off I did onsies

Thanks for the great replies! I think, if "poppers" are the same as what we call "snaps" here (two metal pieces that snap together to hold the clothes on), then what UK mums call "vests" we call "onesies" They can be long or short sleeved and they fasten at the crotch. Here's a photo of what we call a "onesie" in the States: https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/beachgalgarner/baby-onesie.gif

Here, the word "vest" means a garment like this, mostly worn by grown men: https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/beachgalgarner/vest.jpg

In English, the drawing is a babies vest, the picture is a waist jacket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->