Forceful let down

MoominJ

Reaction score
Anyone have issues with quite forceful let downs?

I thought it would calm down but he's 8 weeks old and still part way through feeding he coughs and let's go and it's like a water feature haha! It's not every time but it makes feeding in pubic fun, trying to get a muslin in there quickly before I drench myself or someone else!

Any tips? My boobs are nice and soft these days so I don't think it's pressure forcing it out quickly

Following! Having the same issue here. I guess it's like trying to drink water from a garden hose :nope: Does your LO get very upset? Mine does, if she gets too overwhelmed. In my case it's on oversupply issue which I'm trying to sort our with block feeding (which is helping somewhat). I think they say fast let down is usually caused by oversupply so you could try block feeding?

Glad I'm not alone! He doesn't get upset but it makes him choke and then before I know it he's covered which he's not keen on and it means I have to change his clothes a lot!
I'm not sure it is over supply, even when my boobs are empty it happens! but I'm willing to give anything a try, whats block feeding involved?

It's very handy for expressing, I can fill a pot in minutes without a pump! I'm just using muslins quicker than I can wash them

Yes I had that problem.

I don't know when but it did get better and also as they get older and bigger they learn to cope with it.

It does work in your favour eventually as once DD was used to it she told under 4 minutes per feed!!

Ways you can naturally help is to block feed (only feed on one side each time and if that's not helping then do two feeds in a row on each side) it'll send your boobs the message they don't need quite so much milk.

Glad I'm not alone! He doesn't get upset but it makes him choke and then before I know it he's covered which he's not keen on and it means I have to change his clothes a lot!
I'm not sure it is over supply, even when my boobs are empty it happens! but I'm willing to give anything a try, whats block feeding involved?

It's very handy for expressing, I can fill a pot in minutes without a pump! I'm just using muslins quicker than I can wash them

Oh I know the feeling about using Muslins quicker than you can wash them!

As the person above me stated, block feeding is feeding one side at a time/one side per feed. It has helped me but there's still a bit of oversupply yet.

Feeding lying down might help? Or laid back feeding?

I've tried all of they above lol! Didn't realise that was called block feeding I did that for the first 4 weeks which didn't make any difference!

Lying down sometimes helps but it's even harder to mop it up when it happens! I've tried leaning back too... It's like he sucks for a min then it's a sprinkler then 40 seconds later it's back to normal

I also get this horrid tingly stinging feeling every so often (when not feeding) and a quick check in my bra and both of them are off on their own

Ur right tho, my lo only feeds for a short time on each boob before he's full so at least it's quick! I'm not complaining cos I'd prefer to have too much than not enough!

How do u both cope with it in public?

Oh god, public feeding is the hardest! I was feeding in a cafe last week and I'm pretty sure I added milk to the old lady's tea beside me :haha: :blush:

I try to find somewhere quiet usually. But I have resorted to feeding in private (car, feeding room at shopping centre) because she's become so upset at the breast. I can tell when it's going to happen now (breasts feel over-full) so I try not to be in a situation where she'll scream breastfeeding in public! Thankfully it doesn't happen all the time and I can still bf in public sometimes.

I really hope it slows down soon.

I kept public feeding to a minimum until I was more confident as DD had bad reflux and would scream after most feeds anyway.

Since she was about 5 months though I have been happy to do it anytime anywhere.

I've had the same problem, and I think honestly you just have to go with it until they're big enough to cope.
For me, it came right at 10/11 weeks. Hopefully it will do the same for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->