Foremilk too fast, too furious

oedipamass

Reaction score
So my foremilk has started coming out really fast, dripping everywhere, shooting baby in the face when he tries to nurse, too fast for him to swallow, etc.

My doula suggested pumping it out for a minute or two and saving it. Then DS will get to the hindmilk faster. This seems to have temporarily solved the issue but it's a pain to be pumping when I won't even be bottle feeding for another 4 weeks. Also my boobs are totally lopsided now.

Anyone else have this issue or have found a solution?

You can just take LO off for that first let-down and catch it in a bottle, then put LO back on. I would also recommend block feeding rather than switching breasts at arbitrary time intervals since that should help balance your supply in the long-term.

At such an early stage I'd not block feed as it is meant for reducing oversupply, before 6 weeks its completely normal to have too much (and therefore it comes a bit too fast for them), it will calm down on it's own when your supply regulates, hang in there x

Thank you for the thread name. Just made my day :)

Also beware, pumping before feeds may make the problem worse, as it can lead to oversupply and MORE forceful let down. I would simply pull the baby away, catch the milk in a burp cloth or muslin or something, and then latch baby back on as soon as it slows.

I dealt with oversupply and overactive let down for a long time. Pumping makes mine worse. I have to limit my pumping at work or I will have oversupply.

At such an early stage I'd not block feed as it is meant for reducing oversupply, before 6 weeks its completely normal to have too much (and therefore it comes a bit too fast for them), it will calm down on it's own when your supply regulates, hang in there x

I wouldn't do big blocks of time at this age but at least sticking with one breast until it's softened or baby pulls off and won't go back on is a smart and biologically appropriate move. In other species moms aren't watching the clock and then switching boobs every 10 minutes when they're nursing their young.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't advocating clock watching, it's just when I hear block feeding it makes me think of longer stretches on one side when in the early stages you need regular removal on both sides x

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't advocating clock watching, it's just when I hear block feeding it makes me think of longer stretches on one side when in the early stages you need regular removal on both sides x

Gotcha, sorry, I should've been more clear in my original post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->