Free childcare e-petition (UK)

toffee87

Reaction score
Hey all!

I was searching the e-petitions online, with the aim of setting one up if there wasn't one on. There is petition for free universal child care, and if they get 100,000 signatures, then it gets discussed it Parliament!

https://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/16299

If you feel that a cap would be more suitable please sign https://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/2047

Please sign and click the link you are emailed-it validates your signature :)

Jen

Although its a good idea whos going to foot the bill for 100% free childcare? I think what would be better is if there was a cap on prices for childcare and/or more help for working parents to afford it

I think the idea would be the savings on benefits, tax credits and the funds from taxes would cover it. Also nurseries would create more jobs

this a petition on capping fees: https://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/2047

I personally will not be signing it as I think it's impractical x

If you guys are interested, look up some information on our childcare services here in Quebec, Canada. It's subsidized to $7/day ($35/week) for all children, regardless of parent work status/income status. Might give you some ideas.

That being said, this is a province with a population of 8 million, a lot less than the UK. But still good info. Yes, we pay higher taxes because of it - however, you get a lot more economical benefits because women are easily able to go back to work/school without needing any other government assistance. Getting "benefits" for this/that just doesn't happen here. There is of course welfare, but the standards are different. It may be a worthy long-term solution.

If you guys are interested, look up some information on our childcare services here in Quebec, Canada. It's subsidized to $7/day ($35/week) for all children, regardless of parent work status/income status. Might give you some ideas.

That being said, this is a province with a population of 8 million, a lot less than the UK. But still good info. Yes, we pay higher taxes because of it - however, you get a lot more economical benefits because women are easily able to go back to work/school without needing any other government assistance. Getting "benefits" for this/that just doesn't happen here. There is of course welfare, but the standards are different. It may be a worthy long-term solution.

That sounds great, and is obviously do-able :)

It has it's pros and cons.

The ratio, due to the amount of children enrolled, is 1:8 for the 1-2 age group (and I think 1:3 for under 1) which is... brutal. LOL. The waiting lists for a government garderie (daycare centre) is approximately 1-3 years so pregnant women will sign up - even WTT women :rofl: Private day cares take about 3-6 months waiting period, which isn't too bad, because again you sign up when pregnant.

Those are the major cons. The pros are that while yes, garderies increase overall taxes, you pay less tax into any sort of "benefits" - we don't really have that here like you do in the UK. You are paying into a daycare fee instead of paying someone a cheque. It's a much better motivation. Not only are you paying into helping them with childcare to go back to work, you are also doing it so they can go to school. In the long-term, instead of staying home or working a crappy part time job just to get by, you have women who can go back to university. This is especially useful for single mothers and others who NEED a career to help support their families.

It's a trade off - it's not cheap, but the long-term benefits for women & families is better. You don't have women who "can't afford" to work - every woman can afford it, as long as she has earned a place on the waiting list. The availability of student loans to mothers along with the childcare subsidy allow women to go back to university - yes, they will live on a very low income, but it's a temporary solution.

However, the QUALITY of the childcare is less, due to ratios. So what long-term affect that has, I don't know.

Hmmm not sure I totally agree with free childcare universally. We would end up footing the bill in other ways, through taxes etc. And if it is universal then what's to stop someone who does not work, using the childcare, just the 'get a break' when essentially they are not paying into the system.

I think childcare should be capped. Child care is a HUGE profit market. My friend who used to work at a private nursery which charges £57.50 per day got minimum wage. She was earning less than the cost of one child at that nursery, which I find appalling to be honest!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->