freezer door wasnt fully closed!!

Jaymelynn

Reaction score
I've been storing expressed milk in the back of my freezer for the past few weeks. It is one of those with a double door refrigerator on top and a freezer that opens like a drawer on the bottom. I realized this morning that the freezer door was closed, but not fully sealed. The temp reads at 18 degrees F. The last time I was in the freezer was about 12 hours prior. The milk is still all rock solid. Is it spoiled? Do I need to throw it away? :dohh:

No. It stayed below 32*F, which is still frozen. I would not worry at all since it was below 20*F. Especially since it was at the back and still frozen solid. If it had started to thaw, it would be an issue.

Thank you!! In order to know how much longer it is good for should I count it as freezer or refrigerator milk? I need some milk for my MRI at the end of the month. I got out of my routine of pumping- eek!

It is frozen. It stayed frozen and well below freezing. I would treat it like milk in a regular freezer (as opposed to a deep freeze, which you can keep longer).

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/milkstorage/

Freezer - 6 months
Deep freeze would give you up to 12, but 6 preferable.

I've never had an MRI, but I can't imagine why it would give you problems with breastfeeding? Isn't it an imaging machine like a CT scan?

Thanks again! Yes it is, but they use a contrast dye. I have read that it is safe to BF after it and I read that you should pump and dump for 48 hours (and everything in between)!!

Thanks again! Yes it is, but they use a contrast dye. I have read that it is safe to BF after it and I read that you should pump and dump for 48 hours (and everything in between)!!

Probably not a problem at all:

https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/meds/radioisotopes/

Kellymom is an excellent source and all of the data I found is backed up with cited medical research. There is a table of dyes used and it looks like they are all safe enough I would be fine with them.

I was just reading the same page! Thanks! I still want milk on hand for while I am in the test so my sister can feed him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->