Freezing shop-bought baby purees

Marleysgirl

Mum to a SCBU Warrior!
Reaction score
Does anybody know whether you can freeze portions of shop-bought (jar) baby purees?

Andrew is sooooo tiny still, he only eats about a quarter of a jar at a meal time. Even if I push the "use within 24hrs" to the next day's meal, we still end up throwing away half a jar.

I'm wondering whether I can open a jar, spoon out one portion for that day's use, and then freeze the remaining contents in day-sized portions?

Does anyone know / has anybody tried? :shrug:

Oooh, oooh, I have an answer already - go Hipp :happydance:

Although we do not widely recommend freezing our products, as inevitably there are hygienic risks in handling and defrosting products, which in our view should be avoided as far as possible - it is technically possible, providing all hands and utensils are thoroughly cleaned beforehand, and the food is defrosted slowly in the refrigerator.

We would recommend for just fruits and vegetables to use within 3 months, but if the products contain milk or other perishable ingredients (meat, poultry) use within a month.

And a reply from Heinz too:

Once cans or jars of baby food have been opened the contents should be treated as fresh food. Unused portions that have not been in contact with the baby’s feeding spoon or bowl can be refrigerated or frozen.

A clean ice cube tray is an ideal way to store baby food in the freezer, as you have the option of defrosting a cube or two, as you need it. Also, once the food cubes are frozen they can be emptied out of the tray into a freezer bag, allowing you to use the tray again. Plastic pots with lids are also ideal for freezing small amounts of food.

When you remove the frozen food to feed your baby, it’s advisable to reheat the defrosted food until piping hot and then allow it to cool to an acceptable temperature.

It is best to remember that with juicy foods, such as puréed fruits or vegetables, there maybe natural separation of the solid and liquid ingredients during defrosting, so just give a gentle stir to mix them together again.

Can I just say, I am VERY IMPRESSED with both Heinz and Hipp, they've both responded to "contact us" forms within a couple of hours.

Yah, I do it all the time. I don't see how it is different from when I prepare my own baby food and freeze it.

Have fun!

:)
A

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back