Frustrated baby

Loozle

Reaction score
Help please! My lo has been attached to me all day long today, almost constantly feeding. It's now 4.25pm and she seems to be getting frustrated. Could she have completely drained me?
I hate the idea that she could be starving but I don't have any milk stored for her as I don't pump and I don't have any formula - not that I would particularly want to give her formula unless absolutely necessary.
This isn't like her at all, she usually goes 2-3 hours between feeds.

Any ideas on what's happening? Or particularly anything I can do to help her frustration?

It sounds like a growth spurt. At this stage in the day both you and her will be tired and this will lead to frustration, and if you feel stressed your let down will be inhibited. Add to that that women often report slower milk production in the late afternoon and you get a recipe for grumpy baby.

Make sure you have a good supply of drinks and snacks and get comfy, as anything adding to your discomfort will feed the stress. If she gets so frustrated she wont latch at all try giving her a finger to suck for a minute or two till she is s calm or try singing or talking to her in a soothing way, stroking her or changing scenery by changing rooms or even just stepping out the front door.

Breast compressions can help keep LO interested as it squeezes some more out without having to wait for letdown but it can be incomfortable to get the hang if.

Your body will keep making milk if she is drinking it but during a growth spurt it takes a while for supply to catch up to demand. Keep at it honey. If she has no other issues (poor weight gain, painful latch, dry nappies) then she does not need top ups. Trust your body to do what it is expertly designed to do.

Thank you so much for your response. What you have said makes sense and there aren't any other issues, her weight gain is good, latch is good, no pain when feeding and she has plenty of wet and dirty nappies.
Last night was better than yesterday day time, she actually slept inbetween feeds. Also there was an actual inbetween rather than the constant marathon feeding that was yesterday! She seems hungry again today - although it is still early so we'll see how the day goes. How long should this last if it is a growth spurt?

Thank you so much for your response. What you have said makes sense and there aren't any other issues, her weight gain is good, latch is good, no pain when feeding and she has plenty of wet and dirty nappies.
Last night was better than yesterday day time, she actually slept inbetween feeds. Also there was an actual inbetween rather than the constant marathon feeding that was yesterday! She seems hungry again today - although it is still early so we'll see how the day goes. How long should this last if it is a growth spurt?

With a good latch I'd say average is 3days. Good luck. You are doing great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->