FTM breast feeding question - late milk arrival

soontobeslp

Reaction score
Hey ladies :)

So I am about 2 weeks away from the arrival of my first baby. I am planning on breast feeding/pumping when I have to go back to work. I have a few questions. My sisters did not get milk until 3 days after giving birth, I read this is common. My question is, what did you guys do during the first few days for feeding (if you didn't make milk right away)? Did you supplement with formula? If so, did you experience any difficulty getting baby to take to the breast after bottle feeding? Someone told me just give water, the colostrum will be enough nutrients - I just feel like that doesn't sound right...maybe it is?

Any help is appreciated.

Definitely don't give water but they really don't take that much colostrum either in the first few days. The best way to encourage your milk is to feed often. If you supplement with formula your body thinks you don't need the milk and so it will take longer and may damage your supply. Massage in between feeds can encourage milk production aswell but be careful not to develop an over supply problem.

The colostrum is plenty! Their stomach can hold only 5ml in the first few days therefore it's not that colostrum isn't enough but that giving even 1oz of formula or water is too much. Please do not give water alongside unless medically indicated as it could be dangerous. If colostrum alone wasn't enough the human race would have died out long ago xx

ETA: the earliest anyone's milk comes in is 2 days after the birth, 3 days is the norm and up to 5 days is not abnormal. Also it's not a straight switch but the colostrum becomes less and less a part of the milk when it does 'come in', so some women wrongly think their milk hasn't come in as it is still yellowy after a week or so.

You breastfeed and they eat the colostrum. This feeding stimulates your milk production. Milk coming in on day 3/4 is normal :)

Definitely no water! You just have to feed often and colostrum is more than enough right away. You milk will usually only come in after about 3 days but it could take a few days longer. You´ll know when it does! So, no formula or water, just bf and that´ll be enough. Good luck with everything :flower:

thank you all so much! I knew the water thing sounded strange so I was hesitant to buy into the colostrum being enough since the advice was coming from the same source. But if all of you ladies corroborate that colostrum alone is enough, I'll take it as good advice :)

I'm so excited! Can't wait to start this journey.

Thanks again!

Colostrum is amazing stuff and more then they need until your milk comes in.

It can take upto 5 days for your milk to come in which is totally normal too.

No water at all. BF babies do not need water unless its very very hot. Water can wait until weaning at 6 months.

My milk came in on day 3 yet ds had gained 2oz by day 2!

My milk didn't come in til day 5 , ds lost 2oz.
Just offer the breast on demand and milk will follow.
Xx

I agree with everyone else!
No water. Baby gets the colostrum until milk comes in. You feel like you are starving them and they keep nibbling and crying but keep baby on the booby with as much skin to skin contact and your body will bring in all the milk you need. No need to supplement - it will only cause problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->