FTM weaning help!

NewandNervous

DS 12/10/14
Reaction score
Hi ladies ftm here

My beautiful boy is now 6 1/2 months old and I started weaning at 4 1/2 months as he was a very hungry boy.

I'm just worrying constantly that I'm over or under feeding him. He seems to have an endless appetite the point he won't stop eating them spits up.

Currently his diet is

6am - 6oz bottle

9.30am 2 tablespoons porridge oats & 3oz bottle

1.30pm half jar/ pouch baby food 3 oz bottle & Desert if he's not satisfied

4.45pm full pouch (ellas kitchen ) yogurt and 3oz bottle.

7pm 7oz bottle then bed.

How does this look? Is it too much? Too little?

Opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

I would say that sounds fine in terms of solids, but if he's vomiting after (not just spitting up, vomiting it all back up), then I would hold off on offering so much at once. The only other thing that immediately jumps out at me is that it just doesn't seem like a lot of milk to be having at 6 months. I'd probably be inclined to offer milk first between meals, then only solids at mealtime. That way he'd take more milk (hopefully) and not be so hungry that he eats enough at meals to spit it back up. My daughter was a pretty petite eater and at six months she was having about 6 bottles in a 24 hour period (5 during the day and usually one at night) of about 6-8 oz each.

If it helps in anyway, try giving a full bottle first. How I went about weaning was when DD wanted a bottle, I gave her her 6oz and wait about an hour and half and then give her the solids. Sometimes she ate it all, sometimes not. At least then I know she's getting the most out of her milk and the solids are just a little extra.

Even now at 8 months we are still at this routine. It works best for us. Initially I would give solids and milk at once and I felt like she wasn't getting enough milk.

I think that sounds quite a good amount.

My 6 month olds routine is like this at the moment:

8 oz bottle

2/3 teaspoons of porridge, but i've started doing mashed banana/apple with it and 7oz bottle

A whole baby food jar

8 oz bottle

8 oz bottle

My little one cries if he doesn't have larger bottles. His meals are 3 hours apart depending on when he wakes up. (between 8-10am)

I'm still experimenting as we've only just started weaning!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->