Full-Time Working Mom - Want to Keep BF'ing - Need Advise

Grateful365

Very Proud Mommy, #3 OTW!
Reaction score
Hi Ladies....two questions....

I have been exclusively BF'ing my 8 month old DS since he was born. In the last month of so, I have been packing him an extra 4 oz bottle of formula while I am at work since my MIL insists he needs more milk. All I have been able to pump is three 6 oz bottles of breastmilk per day for him to have while I work 9 hrs.

I have kept the same schedule for the past 6.5 months while working full time:

7am - Breastfeed
***Go to work***
12 pm - Pump for 20 minutes
3:30 p.m. - Pump for 20minutes
***end of workday***
7pm - Breastfeed to sleep
2:30a.m. - Pump for 20 minutes

Over the past couple months, my milk supply has been slowly decreasing. I'm not sure why. It seemed to be about the same time I got AF back, I've heard that can affect supply somewhat. I have tried to think of a time I can fit in another feed or pump, but the day is so busy I can't figure out a good time. If I do it when I get home at 5:30, I'm afraid there wont be anything in there for his last feed of the night. Any ideas how I can try to increase my supply with this schedule?

Also...I forgot a part to my breast pump today and now cannot pump at work at all today...it will be like 10 hours without pumping or feeding...is this going to totally ruin the small supply I have left?! I'm stressing over this big time!!!!

Help!! I really want to continue BF'ing until 1 year

You might want to try an herbal supplement, which is what I ended up doing when I went back to work after having DD1 because my supply had dwindled down a little as well:

https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/herbs/herbal_galactagogue/

Mothers Milk Plus supplements worked really well for me! You can find them on amazon. I think they're made by "motherlove". My lactation consultant recommended them and they definitely helped!!

I'm not sure what type of pump u have but have you tried pumping at the same time as feeding. I used to do this before and after work with dd1 and would get loads of milk and save time. It took a bit of practice but was worth it for me. As my LO was feeding it made the letdown better and more milk flowed I felt.

Great ideas ladies! We did so some supplements in the beginning and I stopped them because they were giving DS bad diarrhea :wacko:

Mary- that is interesting and makes a lot of sense ... DS feeds from both sides though so do I pump the side after he is done? Would there be anything left?

I always pumped as soon as she started because she never had 2 whole boobs. Then if she was ready to swap I just finished pumping. She was mainly sttn so I had a whole lotta milk first thing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->