Gassy baby - smells like rotten eggs / sulphur!

TillyMoo

Reaction score
My poor 7 week old baby boy is just miserable.

He's exclusively breast fed straight from the boob.

I don't know what to do as he's constantly crying - pulls his legs up & straightens them out in pain.

Unlike my first son (who pooped 5 or 6 times a day) this little guy can go for anything up to a week before pooping.

At the moment he is letting out the most horrific smelling 'eggy' wind. The last time he pooped was Friday (4 1/2 days ago).

He nurses pretty frequently (roughly every two hours). But sometimes he only nurses for a few minutes before he starts screaming, pulling away but then wanting back on again??? I think this might be because he wants comfort from the wind pains?

Can anyone help?

The only thing I can suggest is keeping a food diary yourself, maybe something you eat is making him gassy. My lo was like that at that age and still sometimes is. It's also common for breastfed babies to go a few days without a poop. Try cycling his legs and massaging his belly in a clockwise direction as well

perhaps get baby some gripe water?

that helped ease the uncomfortable-ness for my little one. and my baby went for days without taking a poo, too. my research found that its completely normal. as long as he's having a good number of wet diapers he should be doing just fine

We get those smelly pumps on the day she's about to do a poop as a warning! She goes a week between too - must be as they store it up it gets so smelly. She also seems to have belly ache more than day too. x

Mine had this due to dairy as well-while it is normal for babies after 4-6 weeks to poo less frequently, dairy was clogging him up from the first week of life, and his farts smelt like dead rats, he had quite a few other symptoms as well xx

AJ has smelly farts normally the 24 hrs or so before he does a poo they get bad lol and hes been upto a week between poos

My baby acted that way as well, turned out to be silent reflux. And my son's toots smell horrid! It's a joke in our household. We call it, "the stinky".

Thank you all so much for your replies - it's very much appreciated :flower:

I did cut out dairy for a week & it didn't make much of a difference to be honest but thanks for the suggestions

I do find bicycling his legs helps push out the gas

Will look into gripe water

He did a BIG poo not long after I posted the question so, as some of you have pointed out, it would appear that eggy smelling gas is a warning sign for a big stinky poo!

He's actually had three poos since I posted this question & he seems to pass gas more easily so I'm thinking either his intestines are maturing or, and this is a horrible horrible possibility... he doesn't agree with chocolate (I haven't eaten any in 6 days) :cry:

I thought there was co2 in my house last night,all i remember is my dad saying if you smell eggs check the monitor. Which i did lol then i turned to google. It said its normal for babies that have been backed up. I ate tacos for the first time which i think may have done it,but it is normal

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->