gay couple awarded compensation

sparkle_1979

Mum to Ruby born Oct 2009
Reaction score
do you think they should have been

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3359016/Gay-guesthouse-ban-pairs-3600.html

personally I dont, reason being that I think as a small hotel family run business it really is up to them who they have staying. As they are Christians they have their beliefs and should be able to live and have who they want on their home?

what do you think

Im no way gay bashing as have loads of gay friends who would actually prob agree. xxx

Its a bit of a toughie. I can see it from the Christian POV and why it wouldn't sit well with them, but then again, if this policy was allowed to continue, then people could potentially discriminate against all sorts of people on grounds of "personal beliefs". I'm a fan of the Equality Act and the judgement in their favour is indivative of the just, fair and tolerant society we fight for daily.

Its a bit of a toughie. I can see it from the Christian POV and why it wouldn't sit well with them, but then again, if this policy was allowed to continue, then people could potentially discriminate against all sorts of people on grounds of "personal beliefs". I'm a fan of the Equality Act and the judgement in their favour is indivative of the just, fair and tolerant society we fight for daily.

I agree. IMO, they haven't got any entitlement to say 'oh it is our home'... It's a business. If all business owners were allowed to discriminate based on religious beliefs, we'd be living in an incredibly sectarian society with all groups pitted against the others.

Agree, its not home but a business. I hate discrimination of any kind so yes if I had been refused to stay there then I would have kicked up a right storm too. They were paying, they had every right to stay x

I have looked at a few websites for this hotel now and now where does it say that they only allow hetrosexual married couples.

This is a business not a home and they should accept everyone or no one. If Id been turned away (which I doubt i would have but in theory I dont fall into their Christian values either) I would have sued as well. Disgraceful!

I have a feeling baised on what I can see about thier hotel that these men were turned away soley because of thier homsexuality

I don't agree with the result. Obviously the Christian couple are quite elderly and running a hotel was a way to generate extra income from their home. Saying that as a business they must allow everyone basically means that they are unable to use their own home as a guesthouse, taking away their freedom.

I also believe that businesses should still be free to make moral decisions. However, I do think that the double-bed policy should have been made available to all guests before they booked, for example on their website. I am not sure whether or not that was the case.

I don't agree with the result. Obviously the Christian couple are quite elderly and running a hotel was a way to generate extra income from their home. Saying that as a business they must allow everyone basically means that they are unable to use their own home as a guesthouse, taking away their freedom.

I also believe that businesses should still be free to make moral decisions. However, I do think that the double-bed policy should have been made available to all guests before they booked, for example on their website. I am not sure whether or not that was the case.

We can not discriminate like this in the current day and age. There agre is no excuse If they don't agree with certain people staying then maybe they should shut or keep it as friends only. It seems ridiculous to me, To be totally honest, I feel like its as bad as someone saying no black people, no Irish etc. Absolutely awful.

Okay, ive edited this as ive managed to find the places own website

https://www.chymorvah.co.uk/index.html

They do say that they only give double rooms to married couples. But as far as i can see these men are in a civil partnership. Does this mean that they refuse any couples that arent married in a church?

It maybe a home, but it has 7 avaiable bedrooms it is a business. I mean I hope they have insurances and arent relying on thier prayer excemting them from an act of God!

My Great Aunt and Uncle are both Methodist Deacons (sp) and they accept my gay father and his civil partener into thier home and lives. :nope: They are 75/69 respectfully and there is no way age is an excuse to discrimate against anyone when running a public service. Thier opinions they have should be sepperate

I do feel sorry for old people in this and any discriminatory regard as life has changed so much but you simply cannot run a business and have such rules. You're providing something to the public and it just isn't right to me. If you have these issues then I think you need to set up a different business. :shrug: I understand religious beliefs but I think laws need to protect all of whatever religion, colour, sexuality so no one feels victimised. :flower:

Okay, ive edited this as ive managed to find the places own website

https://www.chymorvah.co.uk/index.html

They do say that they only give double rooms to married couples. But as far as i can see these men are in a civil partnership. Does this mean that they refuse any couples that arent married in a church?

It maybe a home, but it has 7 avaiable bedrooms it is a business. I mean I hope they have insurances and arent relying on thier prayer excemting them from an act of God!

My Great Aunt and Uncle are both Methodist Deacons (sp) and they accept my gay father and his civil partener into thier home and lives. :nope: They are 75/69 respectfully and there is no way age is an excuse to discrimate against anyone when running a public service. Thier opinions they have should be sepperate

I do agree that the couple should have gotten compensation but then I am biased! As a lesbian, before we had Tegan we were often looked at funny when we asked for a double bed however we have never been refused a service. It is different now we have a baby though.

Also I wonder if their policy would have been different if it was a lesbian couple? I imagine it would. I think the compensation was given to set a precedent and set an example of the owners - it isn't right to turn people away just because of their sexuality. That would be like someone turning away a person from an ethnic background.

I do feel sorry for old people in this and any discriminatory regard as life has changed so much but you simply cannot run a business and have such rules. You're providing something to the public and it just isn't right to me. If you have these issues then I think you need to set up a different business. :shrug: I understand religious beliefs but I think laws need to protect all of whatever religion, colour, sexuality so no one feels victimised. :flower:

I agree with this. :thumbup:

I'm not sure I agree with compensation being awarded but K do agree that they should not be legally allowed to turn away people purely based on their sexuality. If you want to run a business you have to run it within the laws of the country and they didn't.

My general oppinion is if you are going to open your house up to the public in that way and make a business out of it then you cant realy bring personal oppinions or religious beliefs into it.

I don't think they should have got compensation. Maybe just an apology. It's a shame that not everyone can accept gay couples even in the 21st century.

Complete discrimination. Compensation quite rightly owed.

but if they only allow married couples I dont really see how it is discrimination? Different if they allowed singles but it does say the didnt x

but if they only allow married couples I dont really see how it is discrimination? Different if they allowed singles but it does say the didnt x

Because it's all discrimination. Married or not. I think (as does the law in this country thankfully) it's wrong to base the runnings of a public business on your private views.

It's okay to have religious views but to impose them within a public business isn't. :flower:

The couple in question aren't single people, they are in a civil partnership. But that's neither here nor there anyway. The owners should keep their religious beliefs separate from their business. If they can't do that they should find a different type of business to run.

Personally I don't see why their sexuality comes into this, for all the owners (need) to know they could be two friends saving money by sharing? Admittedly it's a longshot and unless they were very upfront about their partnership, but why does it matter? If someone asked me whether I was straight/married etc I'd book elsewhere.

X

To be honest I don't really see how it differs from hotels/campsites that don't allow under 25s or mixed/same-sex groups. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->