GBS positive and c-section.

lhill630

Reaction score
Okay, so I went for my 36 week appointment this morning. Turns out I tested positive for Group b Strep. I am having a scheduled C-section though, so how do the antibiotics work? I know that with a vaginal delivery, the antibiotics are given through IV for atleast 4 hours or something like that. My bestfriend had it with her pregnancy as well. With a C-section, do they just push antibiotics before I go back for surgery or what? My doctor just acted like it was no big deal, which I know it is okay as long as I get antibiotics. But I didn't really think to ask a bunch of questions!

I tested positive as well weeks ago.... I have my apt tomorrow and I have several questions about it. I know it comes and goes and is not 100% accurate so I'm wondering if they will test me again :shrug:

I figured I wouldn't test positive with it this time since I tested negative with my first son, but apparently like half of pregnant women have it at the time of delivery. I duno.. I am just confused on how I will receive my antibiotics b/c I only have to be at the hospital like 2 hrs before my c section!

Hey. I tested positive last pregnancy and didn't find out until 5 minutes before my baby was born, so they rushed in the doctors etc, but turned out she was fine. Inexplicably, even though I was positive last time they wont test me this time (unrelated rant).

However, I discuss it with my consultant as I've been offered an elective c-section this time and she said if I did go for a c-section it doesn't make any difference if you are positive or not as it is passed on to baby in birthing canal. If the baby doesn't go through birthing canal then no risk of passing it on, so you don't get treated with antibiotics.

She might have been fobbing me off though as she didn't seem to think it was a problem.

Yeah, I did read that, but my doctor said I will still need antibiotics. I think that is why I'm so confused.. hm. I guess I will just ask next appointment some more?

I had it in my last pregnancy and had a c section, they just gave me the antibiotics during the procedure x

I will not be having a section unless I need to, but I'm curious as to how soon they need to know, and if I will test positive again. Dr said it comes and goes and it's a 50/50 thing. Guess I better write my concerns down for my apt in the morning.

Have they not tested you yet? They will probably test you at your appointment tomorrow and then let you know at your next appointment. They tested me at 34 weeks, and I know they typically test between 34-37 weeks. So, they will probably test you again since it comes and goes. :) Good luck! I really think it is just one of those things, and if my doctor isn't concerned then I won't be either :)

I was tested and showed + at 31 weeks with some funneling..... I'm just curious if they will test again. I guess we shall see :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->