GBS screening.

hairftsher

Reaction score
Hey ladies. Just curious at what week did you get swabbed for gbs?

36 weeks I got screened, no gbs thank goodness!

It isn't routinely checked here stupidly but mine was found in pre conception tests.
Unless you have tested positive for a UTI you may not even be tested for it.

Even if you have it it just means a drip 2-4 hours before baby is born and they'll monitor them a bit closer afterwards.

I'm having mine at my 36 week appointment.

I can't wait to find out the results. I was GBS positive in my last pregnancy, and I've been trying very hard to get rid of it this time. The anxiety of knowing you need to be on a drip a few hours before delivery is just too much for me. I'd rather know I can labor at home as long as possible.

I had mine at my 36 week appointment (actually 35+5), I think. I forgot to note it in my pregnancy journal, but I'm pretty positive that's when it was. I got to do my own swab, so it was pretty easy :)

36 weeks sounds about right, though my doctor let me forgo the swab since I already tested positive for it in a urine test a week or two before when I went in for something else.

Dumb question alert, but what is gbs?

Group B Strep. If you test positive, you need IV antibiotics during the birth to prevent it passing to the baby.

Only problem with testing is you can be neg on test day and positive the next. Which us why UK dont test

I had AHS - alpha haemolytic strep - which was diagnosed at 30 weeks, when I went into labour, with a swab... Luckily they stopped it and she was born at 37 weeks. No one warns you about that one! They don't treat it the same way as GBS with antibiotics in labour, but my daughter still ended up in the NICU for a week because of it!

I'm having mine at my 36 week appointment.

I can't wait to find out the results. I was GBS positive in my last pregnancy, and I've been trying very hard to get rid of it this time. The anxiety of knowing you need to be on a drip a few hours before delivery is just too much for me. I'd rather know I can labor at home as long as possible.

Get rid of it this time? How so?
If thought it was just one of those things that comes and goes in some women naturally.

I tested positive in my urine at 27 weeks so I'm kind of pissed I even have to be swabbed!

Well, supposedly, since it's a bacteria, you can get rid of it by taking supplements and fighting it off with good bacteria. So, since the first trimester I've been taking a vitamin C supplement (even eating an orange a day as well). I've also been taking an unscented garlic capsule every day (garlic is also supposed to get rid of it). And I've been eating probiotic rich foods almost daily yogurt, kefir, and sauerkraut. I haven't been as good with the foods lately as I was. But I have been eating yogurt at least 3-4 times a week. Some people who claimed to have gotten rid of it also took a probiotic pill. I haven't done that.

I'll find out on March 9th if it worked!

Well, supposedly, since it's a bacteria, you can get rid of it by taking supplements and fighting it off with good bacteria. So, since the first trimester I've been taking a vitamin C supplement (even eating an orange a day as well). I've also been taking an unscented garlic capsule every day (garlic is also supposed to get rid of it). And I've been eating probiotic rich foods almost daily yogurt, kefir, and sauerkraut. I haven't been as good with the foods lately as I was. But I have been eating yogurt at least 3-4 times a week. Some people who claimed to have gotten rid of it also took a probiotic pill. I haven't done that.

I'll find out on March 9th if it worked!

Interesting! I actually do all of that and I tested positive in my urine!

I'm being swabbed at 36 weeks even though I tested positive in urine at 8 weeks. I'm desperate for a home birth so eager to know if I still have it or not. I still might have a home birth even if I'm positive, my midwife is fully supportive of this :)
Had a horrific first birth on a labour ward, had my second at a different hospital in a pool on a midwifery led unit but don't have that option now with the GBS :(

Fingers crossed it's gone and I can enjoy a home birth

Getting mine at my next appointment at 36 wks, seems to be the norm.

I was never tested and had never heard of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->