GBS test has come back positive, what now?.....

fudgecake251

Reaction score
I did my GBS test on Tuesday morning and sent it off the same day, I was 36 weeks 1 day. I got the results back today and they were positive. I have written that I am GBS positive at the top of my birth plan and highlighted it for when I got into hospital, but my question is, I had a 4hr 50 min (start to finish) birth with my first baby, so of course I'm worried that things will be quicker this time and I won't get the correct dose of iv antibiotics into my system before this baby is born. I did mention it briefly to my midwife the other day and she didn't seem too concerned, just said to write it down on my file and let them know when I go into labour and they'll give me antibiotics. I asked her what happens if my labour is too fast to get them and she just advised me that they'd keep us in hospital around 24 hours to keep a check on baby. Do you think it will all be ok. It's really nerve-wracking knowing I'm going to have another quick birth (highly likely anyway) and that my baby won't get the protection she needs.

Don't panic hun you will be fine. Just remind them but they will know xxx

they will hook you up to an iv when you go into labor and give you antibiotics. theyll prib monitar baby a bit more closely, but things will surely be fine! i had gbs with my secind and now with this one. if your waters break before contractions just get to the hospital asap so they can start antibiotics:)

I really hope all is well, I'm panicking a bit now because my labour was quick the first time I'm worried that if its even quicker this time I won't have time for the antibiotics. I didnt get tested with my first as didnt even know about GBS and the test, he was just fine (no idea if I was carrying it then).

Even if (worst case scenario) your labor is shorter than the four hours, the risk is still minimal. The guidelines state that the baby will be monitored closely if you haven't had the four hours, so try not to worry too much. Phone the hospital as soon as you think labor is starting and tell them that you had a quick labor the first time - they'll probably get you to go in asap that way, and you'll have a better chance of the antibiotics having long enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->