• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GD Diet Question

mrs_sasquatch

Reaction score
Good morning. I was diagnosed with GD a little over a week ago, and the dietician has had me on a special diet (45 g of carbs per meal, four finger pricks a day) I have to keep it under 120 for the three after meal checks. After following it for a week and testing ketones as well, it's still incredibly high. I keep the carb intake at the recommended amount or less and I'm still pulling 171+, and having high amounts of ketones. The only time I had normal sugar was (don't yell! Lol. It was paid for!) Eating chicken Alfredo and cupcakes at a wedding on Saturday. It doesn't seem to matter at all how I change my diet. I have a follow up with the dietician on Thursday but inn the meantime, does anyone have any advice?

Strange that pasta and cupcakes gave you a normal reading! It sounds like you might need insulin or maybe metformin. Every time your sugar goes above 140, it causes damage to your organs. What are your fasting numbers like? Did they check your A1c? Are you normal weight? The only thing that got my numbers down is eating low carb. I still ate healthy veggies, fish, meat, cheese, and nuts. I just cut out grains (even "healthy whole grains") and sugar. You can also try exercising once or twice a day. When I was pregnant I just did brisk walking whenever I got the chance for at least 25 minutes.

Fasting numbers have been slightly high, but not outrageous. Usually about 92. I've been taking walks every day, and eating veggies like they're going out of style. I'm so confused by how this is working...because I really thought following the diet would work pretty well. I just took mine again after lunch (2 hardboiled eggs, a spinach salad and a glass of milk) and I was at 146. Ugh.

It was probably the milk that made your numbers go up...I can't have milk, too many carbs/sugars...the cupcake thing is odd but maybe there was enough good fats plus protein in the Alfredo to balance them...

I couldn't believe the cupcake thing! I ate it because...well, it was paid for and it was the one terrible thing I was allowing myself at all. I'll try cutting out the milk until Thursday when I follow up and see if it helps. I've been sticking to unsweetened iced tea except for with meals, and my snacks have been protein bars with under 30 carbs, or cheese and tomatoes. It's just so frustrating.

It's so frustrating, isn't it? I made myself crazy trying to get it right all the time. I was ready to throw my damn meter off a cliff. Can you find KIND bars? They're the only protein bars that don't spike me. Only the ones labeled low sugar though. I tried Quest bars because they say they're only 3 net carbs and they spiked me to 208! I was so mad. Drink unsweetened almond milk if you like it and use heavy cream in coffee.

I've had the nuts and dark chocolate KIND bars. They're delicious, I'll have to pick some up. I'm lucky and haven't spiked over 200 at all, but it took us 4.5 years of TTC so even small spikes kind of make me panic.

Update: I guess the diet doesn't matter that much! My body cannot handle whole grains (how weird is that?), but otherwise, the dietician said my diet is what it should be. As of today...I am insulin controlled. :(:growlmad::dohh::shrug:

Sorry :( I know many people don't want to go against their Drs advise but I don't follow the apas guidelines for gd...I have no more than 15-18 carbs per meal and only around 10 carbs per snack and always pair my meals/snacks with high protein and or fat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->