Gestational diabetes and diet

Mama2Aston11

Reaction score
Hi , had to restart my account but I used to be newmama2be5 . I have a newly 4 year old son Aston who I developed gestational diabetes . He was born at 37 weeks naturally . Was 6 lbs 9 oz so no complications and no sugar issues at all thank God.

Was set up w dietician and had to take insulin shots once a day at bedtime ... Cause my fasting sugars were higher than they should be but not severe level ...

I didn't test yet but I'm highly sure I am pregnant for the second time . I am guessing I'll have GD again .... I check my sugars and fasting sugar has been 115 before and I know ideal is 99 or under. Through the rest of the day it's under 120 ... Or after food 120 ish or less . I worry so badly worry about harming the baby . I would be 3 weeks or so along and Im inbetween getting coverage to see a OBGYN. But till then what level should my sugar be fasting and regular where it's ok or not harmful ??? I'm in the US and don't know what people mean by their sugar was 8 for example in the uk I thunk ... Sorry I just was educated my first pregnancy w diet even if it's been over four years and I don't know what's good on diet ... I assume obviously no dessert and to exercise and eat healthy like w no high carb foods etc... I'm super worried anyone have any advice ??? :nope::nope:

I've read online how it can cause still birth and or serious issues and I fully am taking it seriously and plan to steer clear of deserts and sweets and juices and sugar geared stuff ... And plot to exercise daily and be proactive ... I read online it said there's such a thing as light diabetes like you have it but it's not much and if don't know what blood sugar levels qualifies and what qualifies as pre diabetes

Most of the time gestational diabetes does not surface until second tri, even if you have had it before. Most things I have seen say if it starts earlier than that, it was more than likely an issue before you got pregnant, so I won't be freaking out too much yet.

For spot checking numbers though, my fasting is supposed to be under 96 (5.3) and my 2 hr post meal is supposed to be at or under 120 (6.6).

Oh and if you search blood sugar conversion on line, there is a greater converter to go between the way the U.S. measures and how the rest of the world measures. You should also search us vs carbs on here and pop over to ask Amelie questions because she has had 3 GD pregnancies.

Thanks for the response . Maybe my meter is messed up cause I've pricked 3 different fingers and got 3 numbers pretty far apart or enough . My in the day readings are usually 120 or less following food and fasting is a little above 100.... I've been checking sugars prior to lately and it only seems to have been slighty elevated as if the last week... Usually it's 90 ish or whatever . Can bad sleep contribute ?

Hi :flower:

I am on GD pregnancy #3.

If you are incredibly early on in pregnancy it isn't likely GD but suggests type 2 diabetes.

True GD is when your body doesn't respond by making more insulin when the placenta starts releasing hormones that mean you need to up insulin production to counter act them.

I met a lady at GD clinic once who on baby #5 developed GD (after being fine before) at about 8.5 weeks. But the placenta has to exist before GD can be an issue.

In my second pregnancy my sugars went odd at 16 weeks and in my third pregancy it was 17.5 weeks.

As for numbers - I need to be under 6 before meals and under 7.8 one hour later x

Thanks for the info Amelie :)

So you think from the sounds of it I have type 2? The oddest thing is my morning sugar seems slightly elevated then usual and usually it isn't past 100 something and my day sugars are not bad ... If I haven't eaten very constantly it's been like 95 or 80 ish and otherwise a hour or two later w food it's below 120. What would point to pre diabetic ? And if I do for sure have type 2 the basic non severe level what should I do ? Cause I'm not in medication and have been monitoring diet. Well , mostly . After my son I didn't lose the weight I needrd cause I reached sixty pounds too heavy and after a year lost the weight and kept exercising and started laying off of it last year mid way on exercise and slowly on clean dieting . Sigh . I'm trying to apply again for government health care the covered California or Obama care thing cause they messed up months ago w my applications and all and I pretty much had to go back down to the social service office and now Have to again ... So until then is the baby at danger if I maintain diabetic friendly diet??? I'm pretty worried

I am not sure on prediabetic levels or proper type 2 diagnosis levels. I know in pregnancy they want levels to be much more tightly controlled than outside of pregnancy.

Levels under 108 in the morning and pre meals and under 140 1hr afterwards are good and there shouldn't be an impact on the baby.

Your body could just be showing a weakness/tendancy towards diabetes?

Tendency ? Well pre my son I didn't have it and developed it at 26 or whichever weeks .... My sugars have never been high or out of control and key tone strips don't register w ketones ...

I don't know about my sugars before my eldest daughter but after my second I had a GTT and passed. But I know from my own blood sugar readings I can go pretty high after eating cake and pudding!

So I think my first 2 pregnancies left me glucose tolerance impaired or 'pre diabetic'.

I will jet to a OBGYN asap but until then I'll try to research what foods are ok to have and steer clear of sweets . I just hope nothing happens ;( and kind of tmi but Is sex ok? Sounds weird to ask but I guess anything diabetes related is high risk and online it says High risk pregnancies should take Caution?

No need to worry about any other high risk stuff, i would just start with the healthy eating now :flower:

Key things to avoid would be white breads, rice, noodles, bananas and anything with sugar (pop, chocolate, candies, you know, the good stuff :) ).

Balance your carbs with proteins too and that really helps.

Oh, and exercise is very good! While we are 'high risk', it is high risk of gaining weight and baby being big, problems with low blood sugar after birth, etc. I flew 12 hours at 33 weeks and still exercise daily, etc so it isn't high risk in the way some others are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->