• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gestational diabetes and steroid injections

lisacaton1980

Mummy to Alfie
Reaction score
Hi, I was diagnosed with GD and have been on metformin ever since as diet change didn't have any affect. 2 days ago I also had to start insulin injections. I've now been booked in for a C-section at 38wks and have got to go to hospital next weekend for steroid injections.

I didn't ask how long I would have to stay in for and haven't been able to contact my midwife. Anyone else had this? How long were you in for after the steroids - just one night? She did say I would have to stay for monitoring but not how long.

Thanks

I had insulin controlled GD and was induced at 38 weeks 3 days .

I did not have steroid injections and no one made mention at any time that they may be needed.

Has anyone explained why you need them as my understanding is that 37 weeks is considered 'Term' so anything after that baby is thought of as ready to be born.

Gestational diabetes babies are more likely to have breathing difficulties even at term, I would hazard a guess that it is the reason?

I haven't had steroid injections but have been in the day assessment unit in the bay next to someone having them done so heard the conversations. They had to sit there for about 30minutes after the injection, and come back the following day for a second injection in opposite arm. Definitely no overnight stay for them. Guess it might depend on why you're having them done though.

Gestational diabetes babies are more likely to have breathing difficulties even at term, I would hazard a guess that it is the reason?

That's interesting - not something my consultant has mentioned to me so I'll ask next time I see her. GD seems to cause so many problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->