Gestational Diabetes first high risk appointment

designermama

Reaction score
I failed my 3 hour test on Monday and I go she the high risk doctor's Nurse Practitioner and Nutritionist next week. I was told I would be there a while. I figured a little nutrition class and she said an ultra sound.

Can someone else with the explain to be what they did at their appointment? Or even you experience with GD altogether? Was the ultrasound a regular one or a 4D, because I am considering canceling my scheduled 4D since it is a day before this high risk appointment.

I can't help too much with the high risk appointment as my OB also happens to be the high risk doctor (very small western practice in China), but I have been on the GD diet since the first week in January and still have 3-4 weeks left.

For every person, GD can be a totally different experience. You have to find your trigger goods and learn your balances. For me, I can eat quite a few fruits still, but I know others that cannot. My biggest trigger is high fructose corn syrup (regular pop, yummy coffee drinks, etc) and white breads plain. Balancing carbs with proteins is also very important because proteins help process the carbs better. If you don't have enough carbs, you can run in to problems too. Lots of salads and veggies in general (not potatoes!) are also very safe snacks.

Once you meet with the nutritionist, they will give you a meter and tell you when and how often to check your sugars and then reevaluate after a short time. Some people are lucky enough to control wit diet and exercise (me) and others can't get through without insulin no matter how perfectly they follow a diet. The diet does become much easier the longer you are on it and many have said we are keeping some of the new habits.

Biggest tips are: drink tons of water, walk a bit after every meal, and make sure you eat a small bed time snack. If you have any questions, just ask!

At the first appointment there were a few of us, we met with the nurse who explained GD and gave us glucose monitors and showed us how to use them. Then we met with a nutritionist who explained the GD diet and how to do carb counting. It took about 3 hours... I had my ultrasound a week later, which was a standard u/s to estimate baby weight since GD can cause bigger babies.

So far my sugars have been mostly good with the GD diet. No sugar, honey, syrup, or juice... Carbs are to be spread out through 3 meals and 3 snacks a day, eaten with protein. We got a guide saying how much to eat for each meal and snack. I've been eating a lot of veggies and hummus :) I have also found I can't eat rice or bananas.

Thank you, that gave me a good idea of what to expect. I know I will have my ultrasound that day so I should be there for ever! know at my 24 week ultrasound they only said he was measuring 4 days ahead and I am 28 weeks now. I have gained 10 lbs this month. But I wouldn't say that is too bad since I hadn't gained but maybe two lbs before that. I started at 125ish and I am now 138 lbs.

Eggs, peanut butter and cheese are great sources of protein. The GD diet does great things for weight too! At my appointment lasts week, I had gained 17 lbs since prepregnancy; started at 148 now at 165.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->