Gestational diabetes - snack ideas???

K123

Mum to James!
Reaction score
Hi!

I've been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. At the moment I'm not finding meals too hard and my sugar levels are nicely under control with diet - but I'm finding that I'm getting very hungry between meals, starting to feel light headed and often have very low sugar levels before meals so know I need a few more snacks. Problem is the portable suggestions I've had from the midwife (6 grapes or 1 satsuma) don't fill me up and other suggestions (such as a couple of crackers topped with cheese spread) don't work when I'm out and about. Was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of snacks suitable for GD which work for you?

Hi, I've also got gd this pregnancy and found trying to buy snacks when out and about was too hard to find anything healthy. I always carry a snack with me and also try and do some of my own baking. Examples of things I have that are ok for my blood sugar levels are teacakes or a slice of fruit bread buttered, homemade cheese scones or fruit ones made with little or no sugar, a banana, falafels, small piece of homemade quiche, wedges of cheese or a babybel, natural yoghurt with raspberries in (maybe not v portable), small sandwich made with granary bread. I'm a veggie, but if you eat meat I guess there's more options like chicken drumsticks, etc. I read a hard boiled egg is a really good snack when you have diabetes, but haven't been able to stomach those myself.

I like the idea of cheese scones and fruit bread! Think I'm going to get baking (and hope they suit me too!) and stock up on babybels. Don't think I could stomach a boiled egg as a snack though...

6 grapes? Goodness! What number of carbs are you allowed for snacks? I get 30!
I usually have:
a few peices of cheese and pepperoni on crackers
a half apple and cheese
a handful of grapes

make sure you're getting lots and lots of protein! Cheese and meat have negligible carbs so you can have about as much of those as you want!

Natural mixed nuts always worked for me when out and about. I could also get away with an all butter croissant. I tried plain scones but they didn't work for me. Plenty of protein like cheese, chicken or ham? It's really hard and I remember the hunger so well

peanut butter on crackers or a slice of whole wheat bread. Cheese and crackers. Yoplait greek yogurt popsicle. Greek yogurt (danon light and fit). An apple.

Try to always mix a carb with a protein and it will help.

Thanks for all your ideas.

In the UK we don't get numbers for the carbs allowed, just rough guidance for diet. Nuts have been a good snack for me recently - but I'm a teacher and back at work in a week and not allowed nuts/peanut butter in school because of children with allergies. Am having lots of cheese too which seems to be helping. It just gets frustrating not being able to have what you fancy - I'm just looking forward to eating what I want in December!

I couldn't eat any bread at all. Sent my sugars way high so the toast I got after my section was AMAZING 😃 x

I couldn't eat any bread at all. Sent my sugars way high so the toast I got after my section was AMAZING 😃 x

I'm already dreaming of the cakes and goodies I'll be able to enjoy in December!

If I eat so much as an apple my BS goes sky high... So no carb snacks for me. I have to take insulin before breakfast to be able to eat a small piece of whole grain bread. Or an apple. Other than that, I don't eat any sweets, bread, fruit, rice, pasta or potatoes. Menus can be challenging, gaining weight too but I think I'm managing. Well, it'll be better in less than 6 months :winkwink:. I still think my diet is OK. I eat lots of vegetables, cooked and raw, fish, even meat (though I'm a former veggie). I get some carbs from vegetables. I need insulin even for that (beans, carrots, corn).
So my snacks are usually plain yoghurt and nothing else. I'm thinking of adding some nuts. When I'm home and able to cook, I have string beans or some other vegetables like cabbage or zucchini for a snack too. I'm not much into cheese on its own so I only eat it with a small piece of bread for breakfast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->