Gestational Diabetes

Js32313

Reaction score
I just took my one hour yesterday and found out I failed it. I have to take the three hour Thursday. I am nervous. If I fail that one how does GD affect pregnancy? How will it affect my baby? I'm nervous. I already have high blood pressure from before pregnancy. Now possibly something else. Anyone with experience?

I found out a week ago I have gd, i should of found out 3 weeks ago but my hospital didn't do there job properly. Anyway it's not been to bad so far, I prick my finger once a day either first thing on a morning, after breakfast, after lunch or after dinner then log my reading, if it's over the normal more than 3 times I need to call my diabetes team but so far it's been ok.
I cant eat things like cakes, sweets, fizzy Drinks which I wasn't a big fan of anyway but also I have to watch my carbs as they send sugars up.
I have things like bacon, eggs and a slice of granary toast for breakfast and a ham salad bun for lunch and chicken and rice or pasta or sausage and mash those kind of things for tea and my readings are fine.
Iv cut out Snacks or have fruit and i drink water alot too.
Had my first scan today in 10weeks and baby does seem to have gone from just below 50th centile to the 92nd but I blame that on me finding out late about my gd. Doc isn't worried tho and i dont need another scan for 4 weeks so it's just all down to diet now and keeping it under control.
Good luck at the 3hr test xx

I just had my consultation since finding out I have GD. I pole my finger 4 times a day. Once in the morning right after I get up, then 2 hours after each meal. Every reading so far has been well within the normal. Although I found out from the nutritionist I may have had a false positive since I didn't eat anything before my 1 hour and if you don't eat for longer then 10 hours your blood sugars go up. Well I'll follow the diet and see how it goes. There are complications that could occur from having GD but if you keep it under control then you should be fine. More ultrasounds to keep an eye on baby too depending upon your consultant/Dr.

I just had my consultation since finding out I have GD. I pole my finger 4 times a day. Once in the morning right after I get up, then 2 hours after each meal. Every reading so far has been well within the normal. Although I found out from the nutritionist I may have had a false positive since I didn't eat anything before my 1 hour and if you don't eat for longer then 10 hours your blood sugars go up. Well I'll follow the diet and see how it goes. There are complications that could occur from having GD but if you keep it under control then you should be fine. More ultrasounds to keep an eye on baby too depending upon your consultant/Dr.

I'm in the same boat but I've done a lot of research on it since they suspected I might have it from pretty early on in my pregnancy...anyhow the only thing I want to say just in case there are other ladies reading this thread is that GD is hormone based which means sometimes it can be controlled be diet (so far I've been able to do it this way) but sometimes now matter how good you eat since it is really controlled more by hormones, some women will still end up on insulin or metformin...especially the further into your pregnancy you get...what I've seen a lot that's very effective especially if you're trying to avoid those things is eating a high fat high protein diet...raw coconut oil is also really good to take before means if you can ;)

I'm currently GD and on 1 metformin with evening meal and my sugar levels were going good with diet and metformin but now things that were good for me like porridge and some fruit etc are giving me higher readings even tho I'm eating very well and watching my sugar and carb intake :( but I go to diabeties team every other Wednesday so will discuss with them there on what to do next, as there starting to rise again, no doubt they'll just up my dose I have a scan on Wednesday to check his growth again and I hope it's gradually slowing down as he is going over the 90th centile, I know I'll defaintly have him early as they wont let me pass 38 weeks but now ive been diagnosed with OC/ICP liver disorder so that makes me even higher risk and now I'm on an extra 2 tablets a day to calm the levels of that down and have to visit PAU every Wednesday for repeat bloods and check up, and a scan on baby and on my livers does any one else on here have OC? X

It came back that I have GD but just borderline. The doctor says he doesn't think I had an issue before which is good to know. The biggest concern they have for me is him getting to big which could happen anyway as really big babies run in my family and not because of GD. Just genetics. I met with the doctor, nurse, and dietician and was put on a eating plan. I check blood 4 times a day. My fasting numbers were slightly high for my doctor even though they were in the range that I read is normal everywhere else so they put me on insulin at night time. Started that last night. Hope the diet will control the rest. My after meal numbers have been good. It's hard though. Keep seeing all this good food and have to eat something else. Tough when your pregnant and want some yummy food. Even when I was dieting I splurged now and then.

What is OC?

Awww bless you, the diet does drive you crazy all I want is simple things like cornflakes, but I can't have them, :( OC is a liver disorder which makes you itchy it's bile salts your liver produces leaking into your blood stream xx

I found out I failed my one hour also. I read that 2/3 women who fail the one hour pass the 3 hour, so don't get too worried yet.

If you do have it, it will make the rest of pregnancy a pain as far as watching your diet and testing your blood sugar, but it's still possible to have a totally healthy pregnancy and baby. You would probably also have one or more additional ultrasounds to check baby's size.

Good luck with the three hour test.

I was recently diagnosed with GD. Today I started poking my finger 4x/day. My sugar levels are definitely higher than they should. I see my dr next week. I'm guessing he'll give me at least metformin.

I also have borderline hbp and a terrible Itchiness that doesn't go with showers. I'm wondering if it could be OC. :wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->