Gestional diabetes test

AGTR

Reaction score
Hey so I have my test beginning of next month, any advice? Also I may have to take my DD with me whose 2 and a half anyone else had to take their child with them?

I'm currently sat having mine now... Take something to do with you- it's a long wait!

The drink you have to drink tastes vile...

Sorry I don't have any advice re taking 2.5yr old with you. There are some people sat here with partners but no one with children.

I'd try to find someone who can have your daughter, or see if someone can go with you. I can barely get my boy to sit still for a couple minutes, let alone for 2 hours. You're not meant to move about at all during the waiting time, except to use the loo and that's even if that's allowed.

Definitely agree with taking something for entertainment, a two hour wait is bad enough, but for me last time it dragged badly and felt even longer.

I'd also say try and get someone else to watch your daughter if you can. I've been to several of these tests and never seen any children there. I can't imagine trying to keep my dd entertained for 2 hours just sat in a waiting room. As the above poster mentioned, you're not really supposed to move around or go for a walk or anything.

Luckily my blood was taken at a children's centre, so my mum came with me and ds and played with him while I got it taken. I always feel really rough after the fasting and the drink so I was pleased I didn't have to drive myself too!
My test was the kind where you fast overnight, then I had to have my blood taken exactly 2hrs after drink, but I had the drink at home (7.20am). So it wasn't a long wait at all because they had to take it at 9.20 am and I got there there at 9.

I'm currently sat having mine now... Take something to do with you- it's a long wait!

The drink you have to drink tastes vile...

Sorry I don't have any advice re taking 2.5yr old with you. There are some people sat here with partners but no one with children.

Best advice I can give (especially if you have nausea) is to chug it like a drunk girl at a frat party. I made the mistake of sipping it and almost thew it up...which of course if that happens....you have to start all over! The second time I had to do it I chugged it and it seemed a lot easier

I did this a few weeks ago (both the 1 and 3 hour). If they give you flavor options, go with lemon-lime. It's still gross but less gross than the others. The lab tech I worked with said the orange and fruit punch tend to make people sick. And it is a drawn out process...bring a book, and I'd make sure that if you have to bring your LO, you pack a full array of items to keep him occupied. My office asks for no children, if the appointment is anything more than an OB check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->