Getting Away From Prodromal Labor

krulci

Reaction score
For a long list and variety of reasons, I've been trying to stimulate active labor (stuck in prodromal bouts). So far I've attempted sex, stairs (though not for a long duration - that's coming!), squats, scrubbing the floor on all fours for a few hours, several cups of RRLT a day, acupressure, meditation... There's more, I'm sure.

Any brilliant suggestions? I would love to deliver in the next few days (what a joke, right? :haha: ), especially where I was at 3cm and 100% effaced at my appt last week. I'll take any and all crazy tricks you've heard work!

I don't really have any suggestions but I did want to add for anyone who doesn't know already, that sex can only be successful if your hubby drops little ones inside you unprotected and that you reach an O. Something about the little sperms and the female O make some kind of hormonal reaction happen that can possibly induce labor, but if neither of these happen than the attempt is pretty much futile...Hope this possibly helps someone.:flower:

I don't really have any suggestions but I did want to add for anyone who doesn't know already, that sex can only be successful if your hubby drops little ones inside you unprotected and that you reach an O. Something about the little sperms and the female O make some kind of hormonal reaction happen that can possibly induce labor, but if neither of these happen than the attempt is pretty much futile...Hope this possibly helps someone.:flower:

I didn't know that. Where did you get that information do you have a link? I love research!

I have been using clary sage oil in the bath-5 or 6 drops mixed with some milk before pouring it into the water. Its meant to stimulate uterine contractions and ideally shouldn't be used until you're due. I started on Saturday (@39 +3) and its not had much effect so far. It is very relaxing though.
The only other tips my mw suggested is anything that stimulates your bowels i.e. spicy foods. Also walking and bouncing on a birthing ball.
I do believe baby's come when they are ready, but these things are worth a try. Good luck xx

I had no idea! Then again, I'm a little selfish in that I won't let DH get away before I've had my kicks too, lol! This isn't a problem for us, but I'll definitely spread the word!

I'll try the clary sage oil! I agree... No baby until they decide it's time, just trying to persuade her that it is! Haha!

Sex is best thing. My doc said "what gets baby in helps get baby out ". Ask your doc to strip your membranes, that's another way to get things going. All those tricks though only work if your close to going into labor on your own. Best of luck and hope labor comes soon

I can attest that this works. I went into preterm labor at 30 weeks and then full on labor at 37weeks (when I was released from bed rest). Both times the catalyst was sperm/semen being released. (O on it's own didn't cause labor). Something about prostagladins in semen. Prostaglandins are what doctors use to induce labor, so it makes sense. This doesn't happen for everyone from what I've heard, but I guess that depends on the potency of your hubby's 'stuff'!

I didn't know that. Where did you get that information do you have a link? I love research!

Both my OBs have told me this and my best friends Ob for four of her pregnancies, but I'm sure if you just google it you'll find tons of info

I'm sorry, I know how you feel. I was in prodromal labour for 3 weeks (from 37 to 40 weeks) and it was awful. I tried absolutely everything multiple times. Every single "natural induction" I could read about online. Nothing worked and baby finally came on her own at 40+4. :/ It's no fun!

I'm sorry, I know how you feel. I was in prodromal labour for 3 weeks (from 37 to 40 weeks) and it was awful. I tried absolutely everything multiple times. Every single "natural induction" I could read about online. Nothing worked and baby finally came on her own at 40+4. :/ It's no fun!

So hard not to get down about it! Every night, a few hours before bed, the contractions start and get close enough that I start thinking I need to get a smidge of rest before we really get this kid out (last night they were every 2-3 minutes while walking!!) and then they go away! :cry: I'm getting so frustrated... My parents leave Saturday morning for a week and a half, so we will be without childcare for DS. Just adds to the stress of it all... Wish I knew how to get her out!

Ugh, the exact same thing happened to me! They would be regular during the day and intense, then fizzle out at night when I tried to sleep. It looks like your due date isn't for a few weeks though, right?
In my case, it was due to her position. She was occiput posterior brow presentation (so her head wasn't flexed), which is a very difficult position to birth vaginally. Acupuncture finally helped her turn and she was born very quickly after that.

Feronia - it's true; I still have two weeks before I'm due, but I am contracting like crazy and dilating despite. I'm doing my best to be patient, but it's so hard with all of these "is this it?!" moments. Having done the same, I'm sure you get where I'm coming from.

About the positioning, my MW noticed that her head was sitting just outside the pelvic brim and suggested I try wrapping to encourage her down. I'm thinking this is probably why I'm laboring without huge progress? All the same, he wrap made me throw up so I'm trying spinning babies techniques next!

I'm due just one day after you. :) Baby #3 and I'm 3cm /60% effaced with the head very very low. Baby dropped excessively within past week. I too keep getting episodes of painful contractions that are usually 3-4 mins apart and go on for about an hour then they start spanning out and they eventually stop. But I do notice that as the days go on my contractions are getting more intense, they just aren't staying! I'm sure it won't be long for either of us. I'd say within 1-1.5 weeks and we will be holding our little babies.

The day before I had my daughter I walked up & down a lot of hills, bounced on my ball, had a few sessions of nipple stimulation, had sex and aimed a hot shower head on the low of my back.

Something must have worked!

I also see we are due the same day :) xx

Hugs, mama. :hugs: I totally understand the impatience. Aside from the morning sickness in my first trimester, prodromal labour was the worst...
Can you try acupuncture?

SteffieLee - we are SUPER similar! At my last check, I was at 4cm, 70% effaced though her head hadn't engaged yet (I think - hope - she dropped in the last day or two!) And my contractions are exactly like you described - start and stop, a little more intense/closer every day. I'm sure I'm a week out, too... Just don't want to be! Lol!I wish I could decide when was best for her to come. I would definitely choose today!

LucyJo - I am taking those suggestions to heart!! I'll be trying as many of them as I can, today! (already got a few in! looks like we're off to a good start!)

DJMoo - when are you due? Looks like all of us impatient ladies have close dates!:happydance:

I wouldn't call it Prodromal labour but I was having quite frequent BH contractions that were intense and painful and lasted a long time. I decided my attempts to speed things up were making it worse. I stopped for a few days and it did ease off. I think it was the RLT in particular that was making my BH stronger. I tried again after a break and went into labour soon after, don't know if it was my attempts or just being ready but I think sex and RLT might have helped. Just a thought, if its not working for you it might be worth taking a break for a couple of days and try and rest up then try again

How you getting on hun?

I've been losing bits of plug & had a slight increase in BH. Got that feeling to get everything done! I'm sure I'll still be pregnant in 2 weeks though lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->