getting married abroad?

hawalkden

Reaction score
I did post this in Bride & Beyond :). Hope some can of you guys can help.

I've been wanting to get married since the day I met my OH and now we're due our second the whole marriage thing is off the cards totally for now and it'll end up with a local hotel ceremony. I want to go away too once our second is like 2/3 and it's a whole package etc. like holiday and wedding all in one with very close family for the experience and then a small evening do like we would back home after the wedding.

So anyway anyone getting or got married abroad?

If so a few questions. Sorry if I ramble!

Where did you get married? When? Why there? How long did you go for?

How much planning was needed?

How easy was the legal requirements etc for getting married abroad?

How much is it costing you in total from the dress, flights, ceremony, accommodation etc? Can you give me your budget list please. If you don't mind.

Who did you invite and what did they expect to pay for? How long did the stop over with you?

Where did you get your outfits, dresses etc from did you get the carried over on the flight over specially? Did you get a 'beached' theme/style wedding dress?

Who did you organised the wedding etc with? Travel agents or online agent?

Did you have a evening do when you go home for the rest of the family and friends?

If you had an evening do. Did you treat it as the same theme etc as in favours, cake, same dress from the wedding?

Photography? What happened with this did you hire a photographer?

Anything else I missed what you asked yourself or other etc you can add would be a great help. Thanks.

Hopefully when I look into it all more this plan could actually work because it's a family holiday which would cost now with two kids. I know under twos about £3500 for a fortnight away etc. So adding the wedding and extra few thousand etc.

thanks in advance :).

*Stalking* Very interested in getting married abroad too x

We have just got back from our wedding Abroad. We went to Majorca for 2 weeks. We had to be 'married' already so had a small registry office, just us and my grandparents. That cost £40 for the room and £70 for our notice of marriage. The ceremony abroad cost us 400 euros. My dress, wasn't a typical wedding dress, kind of floaty and relaxed, that cost £75 in a sale. My other half wore linen trousers and a linen shirt. We didn't pay for accommodation as my MIL and FIL let us use there timeshare points so we didn't have anything to pay for there. Our flights we booked with easyjet they were £337 for the 4 of us return. When out there we had a 'reception' at the villa my mum had hired, so was very relaxed, had a BBQ for food. There was 11 of us in total, and I wouldn't have changed anything at all, it was so much less hassle for us and was more about our commitment to each other than worrying about table plans etc. we are having a evening reception on 9th June for all our friends to celebrate with us. Are you on Facebook? If so pm me and I'll add you, you can see our photos and just how relaxed it was. Any other questions just ask xx

Heather Walkden is my account with a baby looking shocked on my profile pic :)

Just sent you a Friend request Hun, I'm in the process of uploading ours, but you'll see im tagged in loads x

Where did you get married? When? Why there? How long did you go for?
Mexico, June 2010, It's where OH proposed, 2 weeks

How much planning was needed?
Not much at all. I let the wedding planners at the hotel know what I wanted and they planned everything.

How easy was the legal requirements etc for getting married abroad?
We had to send them a certified copy of our passport and full birth certificate before we went and once we got married we were given our mexican marriage certificate and then we received our apollosite(sp?) about 8 weeks after we got back to the UK. It's the apollosite certificate which makes the marriage legal in the UK. This was sorted out for us by the wedding planners at our hotel. We also had to have a blood test while we were over there otherwise they wouldn't have married us. Not sure if its the same for every country though.

How much is it costing you in total from the dress, flights, ceremony, accommodation etc? Can you give me your budget list please. If you don't mind.
Our wedding package was £1,500 (this included the ceremony, beach cocktail party afterwards, ala carte sit down meal, wedding cake, photographer, hair and make up for bride, pressing of wedding dress, flowers and buttonholes and massage for the day after), flights and accomodation was roughly £3,000 for the both of us.

Who did you invite and what did they expect to pay for? How long did the stop over with you?
We invited immediate family (parents and siblings + partners) and our best friends. They expected to pay for their flights and accomodation. They all stayed for 10 days.

Where did you get your outfits, dresses etc from did you get the carried over on the flight over specially? Did you get a 'beached' theme/style wedding dress?
Got my dress, bridesmaid dresses and hubby's suit from UK and shipped it over in suitcases (we got an extra 5kg for wedding attire) and had them pressed prior to the wedding. I didn't choose a beach themed dress but hubby had a white suit - it's down to personal preference.

Who did you organised the wedding etc with? Travel agents or online agent?
We booked our wedding through Thomson Weddings as that's who our holiday package was booked through. Once we had booked it it was the wedding planners at the hotel we dealt with.

Did you have a evening do when you go home for the rest of the family and friends?
We hired out the golf club and had a party about a month after we got back

If you had an evening do. Did you treat it as the same theme etc as in favours, cake, same dress from the wedding?
We didn't have the same theme but me and the bridesmaids wore our dresses that we wore for the actual wedding.

Photography? What happened with this did you hire a photographer?
A photographer was included in our wedding package. This included 20 free photos (of our choice) and then we had the option to purchase extras.

Hope that helps :flower:

We got married in the Dominican Republic, we went for 2 weeks flew out on the monday spent a week there (legal requirement) and got married the monday after ..had a weeks honeymoon so we were there 2 weeks in all.
We booked our wedding with Going Places they were fab..it took us about 3 hours to pick a place and hotel etc. The whole wedding inc translation for documents, pics, dress, suit, the lot came to just under 5k.

If i were going to do it again i wouldnt go to the dom rep..not only did we get food poisoning but the paperwork and all the legalities were faffy so i would go somewhere that speaks english so theres no translation to be done.

We had a wedding planner when we were out there and she arranged everything, flowers, cake etc..we chose to get married on the beach and we hired the hotel photographer who was AMAZING and we had a whole load of stunning pics for £75 everyone thought our pics were photoshopped :haha:

We plan on renewing our vows and we intend to do it abroad because we had such a fantastic experience! Cant believe it was 7 years ago :wacko:

Where did you get married? When? Why there? How long did you go for? We got married in Aruba, it was booked as our honeymoon, but the pressure of organising the wedding over here got to us and caused too many arguments, so we cancelled everything and at the last min decided to do it whilst away!!!!!!! We went for 2 weeks

How much planning was needed?We organised it 6 weeks before so couldnt use the holiday company, so did it over the internet witharubaweddings4u (now gone bust)

How easy was the legal requirements etc for getting married abroad? had to get our birth cert apostilled at the British Embassy, cant remember about anything else beforehand - afterwards our marriage cert had to go to a solicitor in Aruba to be translated and apostilled there

How much is it costing you in total from the dress, flights, ceremony, accommodation etc? Can you give me your budget list please. If you don't mind. Think the holiday was £3000, dress reduced from £300 to £58, husbands outfit ?, ceremony, hair, car, legals - about £500

Who did you invite and what did they expect to pay for? How long did the stop over with you? NO-ONE!!!!!

Where did you get your outfits, dresses etc from did you get the carried over on the flight over specially? Did you get a 'beached' theme/style wedding dress? Silk dress, so packed easily and got extra baggage allowance, Aruba only did civil weddings so no beach theme

Who did you organised the wedding etc with? Travel agents or online agent? online

Did you have a evening do when you go home for the rest of the family and friends? had a do at my mum's house - great evening!!!!

If you had an evening do. Did you treat it as the same theme etc as in favours, cake, same dress from the wedding? Wore my dress, but that was it

Photography? What happened with this did you hire a photographer? The photographer was too expensive so our driver took the pics and they were fantastic

Hope that helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->