Getting nowhere with boy names

kirstybumx3

Mum to two boys, R&N
Reaction score
Ugh. We are literally getting nowhere. I'm so annoyed with my OH he wants some ridiculous names :haha:

Clay is his first choice and I really don't like it all that much I feel like people will think it's silly.
He's decided if it's not clay he would like a Japanese inspired name, but I can't even pronounce half of the ones he likes.

Some examples are

Renzo - ok but to me sounds quite juvenile.

Raiden - sounds chavvy. Like a variation of the old Jayden/Kayden that was ridiculously popular around here a few years ago.

Niko - I don't mind this one so much, but apparently the Japanese way has two K's and I don't like the look of Nikko written down.

Renji - hate it. Sounds made up.

Tokyo - well, it's alright. It's just such an obvious 'Japanese' name that feels like it's had no thought out into it to me.

Asa - he liked this with Rio and I didn't. But at the moment it seems the most 'normal' of all of his preferences.

MIL really likes Kit - obviously it's not her choice but she always wanted to call OH Christopher and didn't because of the long surname, and we've found that kit is traditionally short for Christopher.

Sidney - probably middle name as it's OH late grandfathers name. I'd like it as first name but OH doesn't want it as first name.

I don't have any names I like that I could put out there so I'm just holding hope that OH comes up with something I can settle with.

Any opinions on anything listed? Or alternative suggestions? Something Japanese-ish to satisfy OH but normal sounding for an English family if that's possible. Or something else short and sweet to go with a long surname.

I like Niko but would have to spell it Nico.

Raiden and renji and renzo are not my cup of tea.

Asa is nice but i feel it sounds horrid with my scottish accents. Its the same with some other lovely names.

A few i think work really well:

Rio and Finn
Rio and Arlo
Rio and Jude
Rio and Reuben (Rio and Roo! Wont be to everyones taste :haha:)
Rio and Luca
Rio and Remy (may be too similar)
Rio and Rafferty

Not sure why but i am loving the R&R names though i know some like to avoid the same initial.

Good luck. I'd say sod it and just name him yourself....you do all the hardwork anyway :haha:

I prefer the spelling Nico also. It just looks nicer to me.
Love Rio and Reuben but I've already mentioned that to OH and he's quick to dismiss anything he doesn't like!
I wanted another R name but MIL tried to talk me out of it because of confusing their post when they are older - wtf.
I liked Rio and Ralph. Of course OH didn't lol.

Rio and Ralph is cool!

Just keep harping on about it, he will break eventually. My OH admits now that Bella was really my choice he just wanted to shut me up in the end. I was getting in the way of his sitting around watching tv time.

Nico yes, Christopher, definitely - but that's DS1's name. :D

Sydney has meaning so I'd run with it.

I don't think too much of anything else hubby has picked out. I mean, I don't even do nicknames for traditional names. Our Christopher get's called Christopher because as far as I'm concerned, if I was going to shorten it, then I wouldn't have named him as such. My opinion though.

What about what YOU like? This is your body that's is making this baby. It is your body that will have to go though labour and your body that will bring baby into the world. Honestly, I think you should sit down, figure out what you like and tell hubby he picks from there.

First of all, it's not just his choice to make and he needs to have more consideration towards your choices and not just brush them off. Personally I really like the sound of Rio and Ralph together.

If he's dead set on something Japanese-y sounding and you don't mind, how about Kobi/Kobe? I think that goes with Rio. If he likes Renzo there is also Kenzo.

I always liked Kira (means light in Japanese) but with new Netflix series coming out, it's getting popular. Riku/Ritsu are popular.

I have a Sidney, it's wearing well so far, he's 6 in a fortnight. He's the only Sidney at his school currently, which is nice.

Only downside is people are using it for girls as well spelt Sydney. But it's not that common.

I really do prefer Sidney as a first name. My favourite two out of his suggestions are Sidney and Niko. He will probably end up called something completely different :haha:
I think we are going to have to wait and see what he looks like!

I love Sidney especially Sid for short!
We have Theodore Hiro
And the youngest is Tobi fox,

I'm really struggling for a boys name this time

I speak Japanese so maybe I can help you out. There are not too many names that sound normalish in English though.

1. Ken
2. Kenji
3. Mamoru
4. Taro
5. Tetsu
6. Gero
7. Hiro(to)
8. Toshi
9. Ryuto/Ryuta
10. Shinji
11. Keito
12. Kei/Kai