Getting piercings/tattoos and breastfeeding

Logan's Mum

....plus Eric : )
Reaction score
So.... I am treating myself to a new piercing at some point soon. Hoorah! But I am still BFing my youngest. Also hoorah! :happydance: I have read that you cannot get a piercing or tattoo when BFing due to spread of possible infection in milk. Is this true? Has anyone got either and still be BFing? Or would you consider/not consider it?

*The poll will let you choose multiple options*

Thanks!
:flower:

I know a tattooist and she will tell you outright that she will NOT tattoo whilst pregnant/breastfeeding. Im sure some would but i wouldnt risk it imo.

I have while breastfeeding, certainly not while pregnant

Probably wouldn't even cross my mind not to. I think it's fine. Might reconsider a nipple piercing while BF though...

Tattoos are meant to fine as the molecules are not big enough to get into milk, but aftercare is important, as is a reputable licensed body artist

I can't see why you couldn't, but I don't know, a lactation consultant I know found it hysterical when a hair dresser said a woman couldn't dye her hair when BF. There's a lot of myth around it all so many things are recommended against when BF but a lot of the time it's wrong and just over caution, I would ask an IBCLC not a tattooist personally :flower:

i wouldn't personally :shrug: it's not long to wait, and personally i wouldn't get a tattoo without sitting on the idea for a while anyway.

I've had two tattoos, not whilst breastfeeding but I can't see why I wouldn't of been able to, both healed fine etc so it wouldn't of caused a problem.

There was a post on Facebook not long ago saying that it's okay whilst BF as long as the place is clean and everything is checked over

I was actually considering getting a tattoo shortly after I have my first baby. I was going to get something small with their name on my wrist. It would be my 2nd tattoo. Can anyone tell me as to the reasons it would be bad? I would only go to the most professional place in the area and make sure their very clean. I do plan to breastfeed.

I waited until I finished BFing. even tho I have plenty of tats/piercing which have never had a problem I just worried that sods law this would be the one which did get infected. Although I got no idea for what could happen if you got an infection what it could do (if anything) to your Breast Milk. Have you looked on Kellys mom they normally have advice for all things BFing.

I had a tattoo whilst breastfeeding, just make sure you go to a reputable place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->