Getting rid of bright red hair dye?

katherinegrey

Reaction score
I recently used a Live XXL Scarlet hair dye, and since I've washed it a few times, it's faded horribly. Now I just want rid completely, but I don't know where to begin! Colour stripper? Fairy liquid? Dark dye? Pre lightener? Bleach?

Any tips please?

It depends what colour want to achieve?

Whatever the case, stay away from bleach! :p

I want to go a dark/medium blonde, but I'm happy to go darker and lighten it up if need be. I know I want to go the most awkward way after red :dohh: :haha:

Best thing you can do to try and preserve the health of your hair , is to use a color remover. Don't mix this up with colour strippers-those have peroxide and are essentially bleach.
Colour removers are more gentle. Color b4 are prob the most popular. You can use that twice if you want too! Just make sure you have a good moisturising conditioner, as your hair can feel dry, and follow the timings on the instructions to the letter.

You will need to leave your hair alone for a few days. Using any dye apart from temporary could make your hair go back red, so it's important to wash your hair well those few days after.

And then you can figure out where to go from there.

It seems like a faff, but it's the best way to go without damaging hair :)

That's ok!
I used to be a horror for hair dye and bleach. I convinced myself my hair was strong, but eventually damage would show up and my hair would be trashed. When I decided to do things the safer way, it might have taken longer than I'd like, but I got there in the end!

I second colourb4 - there are a couple of different ones for different colours so make sure you get the right one. And don't be surprised if it doesn't get rid of it all! I've used it a few times and it tends to be luck of the draw with results - especially with red, the hardest colour to remove!

I third colourb4. It smells of rotten egg though xD

It got rid of my bright red really well.

head & shoulders shampoo will strip it.
i dyed my hair black once, its blonde naturally & after about 5 washes with H&S it was a light brown, then i just dyed it as close to my natural colour as possible & kept using H&S. over all it took about 15-20 washes to get it back to my natural colour. xx

Yeah, head and shoulders is a good, less harsh treatment if you have the patience!

Well I've got to wash it a couple of times before I can apply the colour b4 anyway, so I might use head and shoulders to get a bit out, then use the colour b4 to get the rest out, I just hope it works, as my hair is currently an orangey/pinky/red nightmare!

I was also going to suggest using head and shoulders shampoo.

Well I've got to wash it a couple of times before I can apply the colour b4 anyway, so I might use head and shoulders to get a bit out, then use the colour b4 to get the rest out, I just hope it works, as my hair is currently an orangey/pinky/red nightmare!

That is a good plan. Try leaving the head and shoulders on for 15 minutes - you'll be surprised!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->