getting your baby to sleep?

lollylou1

Mummy to Belle and preg
Reaction score
hi i was just wondering how all your babies fall asleep

Annabelle doesnt just fall asleep we have to get her to sleep.
she either goes to sleep being bounced in her bouncer, or having her bum patted up on my shoulder, at night she goes on her bottle before going into her cot. she has started relying on her dummy alot more but a few people i know can just lay baby down and they drift of to sleep on their own, should i be doing something different if so what could i do?

Lou
xxx

my LO was 6 months old before he could go to sleep on his own, so I wouldnt worry if I were you.He still sometimes struggles if he's teething etc. I think that when babies are very small they are often simply unable to go to sleep or to calm themselves on their own. Sleepyness is just a strange sensation to them that can be a bit scarey. If I were you I'd keep helping your LO to sleep until she's a bit bigger.

I rock her, then put her in her crib. She falls asleep by herself because I put her down when she's tired at around 10 p.m after the whole bedtime routine jazz.

But when she was Annabelle's age she would often fall asleep on my shoulder before I was able to put her in her bassinet.

Umm, the rare time she takes a nap in the day, she falls asleep in my arms or on a bottle, and in the night she falls asleep on a bottle

Niamh never falls asleep on her own, I think it's pretty normal at this age :)

Caitlyn still won't go to sleep on her own. Works for us though, I bfeed her to sleep.

Grace used to be a bugger for going to sleep on her own. Now at 7ish I put her in her cot with her dummy and put her music box thing on. Sometimes she goes straight to sleep other times she'll play around with her teddys and stuff but eventually drift off. She started doing it when I put her in her own room. I would just leave her and if she cried just put her dummy back in, not pick her up. Thankfully she's finally learnt!

Jasmine falls asleep on her own... but its something we've done since she was born. You either have to do it from the beginning or wait until they are older.

We have a good night time routine and I usually read and snuggle her so she is nice and relaxed at about 7... by 8 she has her bottle and is put in bed whether she is asleep or awake and if she is awake she goes right to sleep.

Max will only fall asleep on his own during the day but at night time he needs to have his bottle and some cuddles :)

I put Lexie to bed awake, & it takes her about 45 minutes to fall asleep. I am up & down stairs like a yoyo though putting her dummy back in, :lol: but she settles herself eventually.

During the day sometimes she falls asleep in my arms. But she will fall asleep on her own if I put her in her moses basket wrapped up so she feels like I'm holding her.

:)

Brooke will sometimes go to sleep on her own if i put her in the moses basket and give her a dummy. She always goes off on her own in the car though unless shes having a really bad day.

Id say 7 out of 10 times though i have to get her to sleep myself

I also put to tyler to bed awake with a dummy and after about 10/15 mins he falls asleep!! I can tell when tyler is going to fall asleep in the day so i put him in his bouncer with it on vibrate and the music on he has his dummy and he falls asleep!

I used to have to rock / bounce or swing Jay to sleep and he would often wake back up again. This went on until he was about 3 months when I realised I'd have to find another wayto get him to sleep as it was becoming a real chore :(

So when I moved him into his own room at 15 weeks I slowly got him used to the idea of going to sleep on his own. I started off by rocking him until he was calm and putting him down and if he cried, picking him back up again and so on... I did this for a few days and then I'd put him down and tap him on his chest and shhhh him until he went to sleep.

Once he got used to this I started putting him down and walking away and returning every 30 seconds to kiss him on his forehead until he was asleep. I did this for 3 or 4 days.

Now I can put him down and he will grizzle for a few minutes and usually drop off on his own :D Sometimes I'll have to pop back in every few mins to pop his dummy back in if he's crying.

It took me a bit longer to get him used to sleeping on his own than the CIO method, but I really didn't like the idea of leaving him to cry and it seems to have eased Jay in gently to the idea :D

Good luck :hug:

xx

Hannah has just recently started putting herself to sleep at night. During the day we usually still have to hold her a bit before she goes down (not always so we're making some progress there). Honestly the first 3.5 months of her life she spent napping in my arms during the day ;) As Ryder mentioned if you start out putting them to sleep in your arms than you usually have to continue it until around 4-6 months of age when your LO will begin to learn self-soothing techniques

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrs.K2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->