Going dry through the night

bungle

Mummy of 2 girls
Reaction score
Hi all,

DD1 was potty trained at 2years and 3mths and became a pro very very quickly. She's hardly ever had an 'accident' and uses the toilet during the day. However, once she was potty trained during the day we took her out of nappies at night and started using the bedtime pull-ups. I was told that once they start waking up dry in the morning then you can start letting them go to bed without pull-ups/nappies but she has never ever woken up dry. OH thinks we should take the pull-ups away, that they're acting as a safety net and she needs to experience what it's like to be wet but I'm inclined to just let nature take its course.

Any advice would be very much welcomed.

She has milk before bedtime which I've tried taking away before and she was really unhappy. She went to bed at 7 tonight and OH has just been in there to take her to the toilet but she was already wet. She'll be 4 at the end of July.

Thanks in advance xx

I'd wait for a bit longer, make sure that she doesn't have anything to drink before bed time and maybe wait until she starts waking in the night to go to the toilet. My little girl is just 3 and starting to wake up dry but I don't let her get a drink and she's fab at waking in the middle of the night or holding it in if she has to. Some children learn very quickly at some things and some don't let nature take it's course but maybe in a few months if things haven't started progressing then let your little one go without pull-ups. The worst that could happen is they wet the bed. If they do just make sure you have some of those plastic sheets for on top of the mattress and a spare duvet and bedding an pjs ready.
I'm sure your little one will be dry in a few months :)

My opinion is that it's still quite early for your LO. Yes, children are dry through the night earlier than this, but other children need much longer. Leah has just turned 4 and is showing no signs of being dry just yet.
Don't let your little girl suffer with wet beds if it's not necessary :nope:

She is still very young. Is she just sleeping through going, if so its physiological and just needs time. DD did not night train until just after 4 and others in her class were later.

Thank you all for your replies. She sleeps very deeply (always has done) and doesn't wake when she wees so I'm guessing its still too early. Will tell OH to mind his own business for the time being, at least xx

my DS was 4 in feb, and still has pull ups at night. I disagree with withholding fluids, we tried that for a short time, and it just resulted in constipation which was FAR more effort to deal with than the pull ups.

If you need a wee, you wake up and go, I feel (IMO) that withholding fluids is just a convenience for the parent, and no learning involved for the child. (for us anyway)

I'm in no rush for him to be dry at night, it doesn't interefere with anything (School, development etc) and he will learn when he's ready. (imo)

I would wait especially if she's a really deep sleeper.

Night time dryness isn't something you can actively teach. Their bodies need to be producing enough of a hormone that concentrates the wee and stops it being released when they're asleep. The age this happens can range from 2 up to 12+.

Also restricting fluids isn't recommended because that can cause dehydration and constipation and it doesn't help the bladder to learn to hold large amounts of liquid.

My son has been dry overnight since 2.5 but he always drinks lots at dinner around 6pm and then has a beaker of milk at bedtime at 7.30ish. Sometimes he will wake up in the night to wee but it's unusual. We could tell he was dry because he would wake with a dry nappy and then do a huge wee within 30 mins of waking up.

my son did not go dry at night til 5 and a half tried before but not got it tried after he got it I think let nature take its course my daughter 4 and a half seems to be drying up by herself and will give it a go if not I will wait longer

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->