Going to GP about sickness and nausea

AngelofTroy

Reaction score
Any advice? Last pregnancy my GP was so reluctant to prescribe anything. I eventually got given Avomine when I couldn't swallow anymore. I don't want to get to that stage again. I can't drink, I can barely eat and I can't look after my son properly,he's had the TV on all morning and I'm upstairs in bed. :'(

I want them to prescribe me something. I don't know what to do if they won't. I'm so scared they'll send me away with talk of ginger biscuits.

Oh you poor thing. Yes ofcourse they should. I have 3 different pills that the hospital gave when I was hospitalized with HG. I'm in Canada so I take diclectin regularly and the days it doesn't work I take zofran or reglan. It's sheer hell but slowely easing up a bit this week. For me my peak week is week 6...

The doctor prescribed me over the phone without even seeing me! Its awful isn't it, I'm twelve weeks pregnant tomorrow and still feel sick all day every day, big hugs.

Thank you both, I hope they are as happy to prescribe for me. Last time with my son I was (TMI) spitting my saliva into a tampon as I couldn't swallow my own spit and she was still reluctant!

I managed to eat a slice of toast and drink half a cup of water half an hour ago and its stayed down, which should be cause for celebration but now I'm worried that they will say I'm coping! I don't feel like I am, and part of it is the fear of it getting worse.

You shouldn't be given a hard time about meds at all. My issue is I can eat a little, I vomit maybe 2x a day but I cannot drink anything! Water makes me wanna like instantly as does any other liquid. My own saliva too mAkes me sick. That's the main reason why I ended up hospitalized is bc I can't tolerate fluids :( push your Dr. Exaggerate if you have to don't be afraid! I took meds both my other pregnancies and babies were perfect. Good luck let us know xx

My dr was mainly concerned about fluids. I was dehydrated. He said keeping food down wasn't too,important. He wanted to send me hospital but I begged him to let me try the tablets. He gave me 2 hours to keep some water down after starting the tablets and thank god they worked (cyclizine- I'm in the uk)

My GP prescribed me cyclizine. Hope you start to feel better soon :)

I still feel rubbish x

Thank you both, I hope they are as happy to prescribe for me. Last time with my son I was (TMI) spitting my saliva into a tampon as I couldn't swallow my own spit and she was still reluctant!

I managed to eat a slice of toast and drink half a cup of water half an hour ago and its stayed down, which should be cause for celebration but now I'm worried that they will say I'm coping! I don't feel like I am, and part of it is the fear of it getting worse.

I went through a point of my own saliva making me sick! And I constantly have awful metallic sort of taste in my mouth which is disgusting.

Did the medication help with your sickness before? I think if you mentioned you were given something before and it helped then I don't see why they wouldn't give it again.

I was given an emergency apt as I told them I couldn't keep anything down with constant nausea and vomiting. I didn't even need to explain much he just gave me the prescription and I went on my way.

Wow what a great doctor! I was prescribed Cyclizine with no reluctance at all and told to ring back and get a second med alongside it if it doesnt help within a day or two. I have +1 ketones in my urine? I don't quite know what that means but it's to do with losing weight (5lb) and if I had +2 they'd admit me to hospital. I'll be monitored and she was so so supportive! (She credited Kate Middleton for increasing awareness!)

Oh you poor thing. Yes ofcourse they should. I have 3 different pills that the hospital gave when I was hospitalized with HG. I'm in Canada so I take diclectin regularly and the days it doesn't work I take zofran or reglan. It's sheer hell but slowely easing up a bit this week. For me my peak week is week 6...

I'm sorry to barge into this conversation, but you said your peak week is week 6? Do you feel sick as soon as you get your BFP? I only ask because I'm terribly worried...was very nauseated, but seems to be letting up a bit now that I'm in my 7th week. I was hoping I'm not going to have to go through a third miscarriage (my first appt is this Friday)

Glad the doctor listened to you angel, I think doctors def take it more seriously now.
The only problem was I couldn't take my anti sickness meds as they made me so so tired and I couldn't even get out of bed with lo in the morning!! I was in a lose lose situation!
Fingers crossed tablets work for you x

That's crazy. My Dr asked me if I wanted anything for nausea and I hadn't even mentioned it to him yet!

Angel that's great they gave you meds this time, I found my GP listened immediately this time whereas last time I ended up with no meds but signed off work for weeks. This time I was given meds at first appointment, I tried cyclizine but found I was still sick and felt awful am now on prochlorperazine which has stopped all vomiting but I feel very sleepy and need to lie down constantly. It's better but not ideal.

There is a website called pregnancy sickness support that is supposed to be excellent for advice and support for HG. I hope cyclizine is successful for you I have seen a lot of people say it was the best of the different meds available :flower:

Angel that's great they gave you meds this time, I found my GP listened immediately this time whereas last time I ended up with no meds but signed off work for weeks. This time I was given meds at first appointment, I tried cyclizine but found I was still sick and felt awful am now on prochlorperazine which has stopped all vomiting but I feel very sleepy and need to lie down constantly. It's better but not ideal.

There is a website called pregnancy sickness support that is supposed to be excellent for advice and support for HG. I hope cyclizine is successful for you I have seen a lot of people say it was the best of the different meds available :flower:

Thank you, I'm glad you have found something which works for you although the drowsiness doesn't sound ideal. How are you managing with your older child? How old are they?

I still threw up when I woke up despite taking the Cyclizine last thing last night, but I've taken it this morning and managed some breakfast. I still feel very sick though so I am not sure how it'll go.

I'm also finding the Cyclizine is making me feel kind of jittery? Did you feel that? Like I've had too many espressos or I'm nervous or something?

Thanks for the website tip, I've joined their forum. :)

Thank you, I'm glad you have found something which works for you although the drowsiness doesn't sound ideal. How are you managing with your older child? How old are they?

I still threw up when I woke up despite taking the Cyclizine last thing last night, but I've taken it this morning and managed some breakfast. I still feel very sick though so I am not sure how it'll go.

I'm also finding the Cyclizine is making me feel kind of jittery? Did you feel that? Like I've had too many espressos or I'm nervous or something?

Thanks for the website tip, I've joined their forum. :)

Typically I hit send and proceeded to vomit but this is the first time since Monday evening when I started taking this new one so may be a one off. Feeling quite sick today though.

My DS is 2 yrs 6 months and honestly it's a struggle. He's so good, he snuggles up to me and plays nicely with his toys but he's been so bored yesterday he resorted to running in circles round the living room with me cheering him on of course. He's at nursery today and my mil the next two days when I'd normally be at work I'm so grateful he can get some time out to play and have some entertainment. All I can offer him are cuddles and tv. I keep telling myself it's only for a short while and we can get back to normal soon. Just wish these next 6 weeks would hurry on by. I was fine by the end of my 16th week with DS so I'm hoping will be the same this time too...

I found I was still vomiting 3-4 times a day with cyclizine I didn't feel jittery but I have seen that reported by some. I felt like I had flu or something, heavy and dizzy with constant nausea. May be worth seeing your GP again if it carries on? Apparently there are a few different ones to try. Glad you have found that website, it seems good for advice xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->