Got to have hospital birth because of anti depressants

carlandjane

Reaction score
Has anyone else been told this?
Am tempted to request to wean off them over the next few months - I dont really want to be forced to have a hospital birth unless absolutely necessary. Especially as its over 40 mins away and my husband doesnt drive!! If I was going to have to do that id sooner have a planned c section so at least then theres no mad panic for our other two children. We dont have any friends or relatives close by - everyone is an hours drive away! :dohh:
Feel all stressed now.

But why??

I take Efexor XL 150, nothing major but still the reason I will bottle feed. I have not stopped taking them during either pregnancy because without them I am too badly off but the bottle feeding is to not expose baby to strictly more than needed. Yet when it comes to the actual birth, all options have been open to me. Had I wanted the tub at home, it would have been fine by the doctor.

Why in the world would you require a hospital birth simply because of anti depressants? Are you sure they aren't just trying to be overly cautious? Or where there complications before which led back to your meds?
I think you need a lot more info and maybe a second opinion. Is it perhaps your midwife is uncomfortable with the idea? That should not mean you have to follow suit.

Only thing I can find is possible withdrawal symptoms in the baby need to be monitored. See what you can find about your medication and its transferability to a foetus. A lot are harmless (mine for instance were).

I should think that you could have your chosen birth and take baby in for a full check in the hours following that?

If of course you find cases proving your medication can have a withdrawal effect on the baby, then I would consider the idea of scheduling the hospital. I understand your reaction about weaning yourself off but considering the effect pregnancy has on mind and body, you don't need to add the stress of an in essence 'detox'.

I take the effexor xl 150. This is my first pregnancy taking them. I dont really want to wean off them and my gp called me yesterday to say they are fine to take but that some babies are a little drowsy after birth but that no other defects or issues have really been noted.
Im a bit miffed really. But equally I guess I could stand my ground and say it is ultimately my choice? I dont know. I never really thought it would be an issue. Maybe the midwives will have a different attitude about it seeing as they do this every day where as the GP is just being overly cautious?
Bah. I feel all miffed. I had my first in hospital and my second in hospital because her heart went a bit bizarre, this likely to be our final bubs i was really hoping to have him or her in the birth centre at least - ideally at home and now at only 7 weeks i feel a tad deflated. I know i may end up in the hospital anyway but id have liked options.

You don't *have* to do anything. What are they going to do, come to your house and hold a gun to your head to force you to go to the hospital? Forgive me for being extreme.

All they can do is make recommendations. I have an underactive thyroid gland and the recommendation/policy is for me to have a hospital birth with continuous fetal monitoring but I'm having a homebirth.

Will you be under consultant led care because of your anti-depressants or under the care of midwives? I know it's hard to not get wound up and upset (the first consultant I saw told me that I couldn't have a homebirth because it is my first baby, I was so incensed that I couldn't calm down/speak for hours afterwards.. so I changed hospitals) but don't sweat about it this early, you still have 33 weeks to investigate this and resolve any issues. It's not up to your GP, speak to your midwife at your booking appointment and go from there :) xx

I assume ill be under the midwives, i normally am so im hoping this time will be no different. Your right though, ultimately it is my choice, i guess after i finished talking to the gp i was upset and angry.

It's really hard to not get angry and emotional when we're a) pregnant so hormonal and b) it's something that we really feel strongly about and we're being told we can't have it.

Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, I interogated my endocrinology consultant today but I always play my cards close to my chest as to why I'm asking. Does it impact on how I labour and birth my baby? No, okay, so it doesn't impact on my choices of where to give birth? No, okay, good, so this isn't a reason not to consider a homebirth, thank you very much :) *leaves appointment happy*

Have a looksie at homebirth.org.uk if you haven't done so already, lots of fab information on there :D xx

I was prepared and meant to have a homebirth with my first but in the end had to go to hospital. My second they broke my waters because her heart wasnt beating right so I had her in hospital 9 days early. I will have a long chat with the midwife next friday when i book in. Really i think to myself if my sister can have a homebirth for baby number 7 after having allsorts of issues and c-sections then surely im a lower risk than that!! Time will tell i guess really. I just dont like being told what to do...!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->