Green poop

krystinab

Reaction score
Hey ladies.

Just have a question. My baby is 2 weeks and for the last 2 days he has had green poop. It's still pretty seedy but it's green. Also the baby is very fussy and doesn't seem to happy with feeding not sure what to do...

hi, my midwife said there could be two reasons for green seedy poop...
1. You have eaten something that has upset baby's tummy. Could be anything p, so just have a rethink over the last 24-48 hours if you have eaten or drank anything out of the ordinary.
2. The possibility baby isn't eating enough,

My midwife suggested just topping up baby with an extra oz of formula after each feed to get the poo to yellow, however I would suggest you check or get advice from your practitioner. Good luck x

P.s I have always felt my midwife was not the most helpful so she may have just been telling me that to make her life easier.
I have recently gone to support group for breastfeeding and they said you will definitely know if you are not producing enough milk as baby will let you know so it it probably something you have eaten x

One theory is that this could be due to your baby getting too much foremilk at the moment - the 'foremilk' comes at the beginning of the feed and it is watery and hydrating for the baby. As the feed progresses, the milk gets richer and fattier, and this helps fill the baby up and keep him full for longer. People call the fattier milk 'hindmilk' but actually there is no point where the milk switches from one to the other - the increase in fat content is gradual and progressive.

The watery milk contains high levels of lactose which can be hard for the baby's immature digestive system to process - this leads to gas and greenish poops. Some people worry about this, but it is actually not usually a problem, aside from the baby maybe being a little windy and uncomfortable (something pretty much all babies struggle with to begin with anyway). As long as the baby is gaining enough weight and producing plenty of wet nappies, you have nothing to worry about - ALL the milk contains some fat and it's perfectly possible for a baby to thrive while there is a milk imbalance.

As your baby is new, your boobs are probably producing absolutely loads of milk right now and you will likely be experiencing some degree of oversupply (nearly everyone does) - since your baby is still tiny, it only takes a little milk to fill him up, and therefore he may well be full before the milk has become fatty enough to produce a yellow poop - don't worry though, this doesn't necessarily mean he won't be gaining weight.

If he's fussy on the breast, especially at the beginning of a feed, this is possibly because of a fast and strong letdown of milk that is overwhelming him somewhat. If he comes off the breast and your milk drips very fast or sprays, you can be pretty sure this is causing his fussiness. If this is the case, you can take him off the breast when he begins to get upset and wait for the flow to subside before putting him back on, or try nursing in a reclined position so gravity is on your side. It should calm down as your milk production adjusts and he gets bigger and more capable of coping with the flow.

This happened to me around week 2/3 with my daughter and I was really worried about it, so I spoke to someone on the La Leche League forum and this is what they told me. My daughter gained loads of weight and within a couple of weeks she was doing yellow nappies again, though she still struggles with my letdown at times even now lol.

Hope this helps.

P.s I have always felt my midwife was not the most helpful so she may have just been telling me that to make her life easier.
I have recently gone to support group for breastfeeding and they said you will definitely know if you are not producing enough milk as baby will let you know so it it probably something you have eaten x

My immediate thoughts after reading your first post is that your midwife sounds like a moron so I'm glad you've said this. :dohh:

I really think advising to introduce formula at such an early stage is irresponsible and could potentially cause issues with the OP establishing her supplies. Please don't think I'm admonishing you for posting it - I just can't believe that is what your midwife suggested! See Meep's post for all the reasons why, it's a superbly written post full of great advice.

My LO has also been pooping green for 4 days now so I rang my Health Visitor yesterday for advice. She thinks it could be because LO has a bit of a cold (sneezing and slight runny nose) but she did mention the fore milk- hind milk too and asked how long she was feeding for etc.

X

I too think it's a bad idea to 'top her off with formula' as this will decrease your milk supply. Try to completely empty a breast before switching to the other. Keep baby awake by tickling his feet or undressing him.

I second EVERYTHING meep said! That is spot on. I had the exact same problem. Also if you want to correct the problem of not getting enough hind milk, you should offer the SAME breast after burping her mid feed as opposed to offering the other one. If this has not worked within 4-7 days, you can also try block feeding. This involves offering only the same breast for a certain amount of time (they usually recommend starting at 2 hours) and then switching to the other after that set amount of time. It took a while for it to work for me but after about 10 days my dd has almost all yellow poops...with only the occasional green. She is also far less gassy and is much more pleasant! You may want to talk to an LC about this before you start because this can reduce your milk supply so you might want to make sure oversupply really is your problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->